advice on waiting to try IVF

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-23-2008
advice on waiting to try IVF
4
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 9:49pm

Hi Ladies,


So, my DH and I have been at this for a while now, unexplained infertility is our current diagnosis. You can see what we've been through so far in my siggy.


We met with our RE after our latest failed IUI with injectables, and she's recommended that we move on to IVF. I was expecting to hear that, and afterwards it seemed that DH was on board to get started with IVF in Aug/Sept. I'm 36 (will be 37 in November). I'm doing a clomid challenge this month to make sure FSH is good (it's always in the normal range, ~6.8 but my RE wants to check it at Day 10). So, a day after our visit, DH had a financial freak-out and says that we should wait 6 months to save up more money. We have some financing options available to us now, including an offer from DH's parents to help us pay for IVF (they went through IF, too, so they know what we are going through) and it's possible that we'll have some coverage for meds. While I understand it's not great to borrow money when you don't have to, I'm hearing the tick-tock of my clock, and given that we've had so many problems so far, I'm not inclined to take a 6 month hiatus. We're at the point now that we've done so many IUIs with meds that statistically, chances are low that we'll succeed.


So, my question is, does waiting 6 months make a difference? I'm planning to talk to my RE on Tues., but my preference is to get this party started. After almost 3 years and 1 m/c, I'm ready to try something with a better success rate. I'm drained emotionally at this point and felt really hopeful after talking with the RE about IVF. Any advice is appreciated!


Thanks,


D

 


Me (36), DH (40) - ttc#1 since 02/08


Seeing RE since 11/08, dx with "unexplained infertility."


2 failed cycles of clomid (12/08, 1/09)


02/09: IUI + femara = BFN


03/09: Femara + IUI on 3/22 + prometrium = BFN


04/09: Femara + IUI (week of 4/21) + prometrium = BFN


05/09: Femara + IUI (u/s and b/w on 5/22) = BFN


6/09: Follistim + HCG + Double IUIs + HCG booster= BFN


7/09: Cycle au naturale  + IUI (7/23) = BFN


8/09: Cycle au naturale; meeting with new RE on 8/19


9/09: Still on break


10/09: Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI; BFP on 11/9/09;  (beta 1-12dpIUI: 37; 14dpIUI: 79; 16dpIUI: 183); First U/S, 11/22 shows 1 gestational sac; 2nd u/s, 6w5days, fetal pole is small, no h/b; 3rd u/s on 12/9, no fetal pole, diagnosed blighted ovum; d &c on 12/18.


1/10: RE appt on 1/6, on break


2/10: break


3/10: break


4/10: planned to do IUI with follistim, cycle cancelled (4 follicles); changed REs


5/10: waiting for AF, decisions about testing and IUI vs. IVF


6/10: hysteroscopy on 6/4, all clear! IUI + Follistim and Ovidrel

 


Me (36), DH (41) - ttc#1 since 02/08


Seeing RE since 11/08, dx with "unexplained infertility."


2 failed cycles of clomid (12/08, 1/09)

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-14-2008
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 2:56pm
I hear you, when the clock ticks every minute counts. My DH and I financed are IVF through a medical loan and we went through are entire budget and cut out things we didnt need. You can really trim alot of fat off your budget if you try. We use that extra money to make our payment.
Hope it all works well for you :-]
IVF#1 March 2010 GonalF, Cetrotide, Menopur.
23 follicles 19 eggs 13 mature 7 fertilized 2 blasts none to freeze. No Pregnancy.
IVF#2 July 2010 Lupron Gonal F Menopur
IVF#1 March 2010 GonalF, Cetrotide, Menopur.
23 follicles 19 eggs 13 mature 7 fertilized 2 blasts none to freeze. No Pregnancy.
IVF#2 July 2010 Lupron Gonal F Menopur
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-03-2010
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 6:09pm

I agree with the other two responses, however, as I'm just now embarking on my 1st IVF cycle, I wanted to mention one more thing... DH and I were ready to go the IVF route in May, and we're just now cycling in August. I've known others who end up taking 4-6 months to get all the pre-cycle workup done, and all the other stuff that goes into it, so there may be a bit of a delay there before you can actually get started. So, maybe explaining to your DH that starting with IVF now doesn't equal being pregnant in 5 days might help... Also, just clarifying that waiting 6 months now may result in a wait of 9-12 months, and that literally every minute is precious when we're talking about infertility!

I would never have been able to go through this without my DH fully on board and supportive, but he definitely had a mini-freak out about the financial side too. Hope y'all can come to a mutually agreeable compromise! :)

Hugs, Leah

Leah (33, DH- 33)
03/08- BFP w/ NO HELP, but m/c at 10 wks
3 IUIs- BFN
05/10- BFP w/ NO HELP, but chem preg at 4 wks
1st IVF in Aug. 2010- Fingers Crossed!
Leah (33, DH- 33)
03/08- BFP w/ NO HELP, but m/c at 10 wks
3 IUIs- BFN
05/10- BFP w/ NO HELP, but chem preg at 4 wks
1st IVF in Aug. 2010- Ganirelex protocol
08/11- ER, 40 eggs! 29 mature, 26 fertilized!
Froze 14, 7 made it to blast, 2 t
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2008
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 2:11pm
I'd try to find a compromise that you can both be happy with.
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-27-2008
Sun, 08-01-2010 - 12:40pm

D ~


I remember you from the IUI board and am sorry to see that you are still on your TTC jounrey!