Help w/changing clinics

iVillage Member
Help w/changing clinics
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 6:25pm

OK, Ladies.  I know that a lot of you out there have changed clinics. 

I have posted disappointing messages on a couple of boards, and I read the same recurring theme -- have you thought about changing clinics?  Why, yes, we have.

We're HMO patients, so I have to go back to my OB/GYN to get a referral to a different clinic.  This is not a problem. 

What else is there?  Request records from first clinic?  Well, then certainly they would know what we're up to.  What if we're not happy with the new clinic?  Then what?  I think that we will have destroyed any relationship that we had at the first clinic.  Do we care?  Should we just consider it the cost of doing business, and that we're looking for results (which we're not getting) and that it's time to move on?

How have some of you handled changing clinics?

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 8:37am

I really liked my first IF clinic, and had no complaints other than a feeling of "I'm not pregnant after a year of doing it their way- I wonder if another re/clinic would do things differently." I met with another clinic just for a consult and the re immediately ordered two tests that had never even been mentioned to me at my first clinic (hysterosalpingogram and an endometrial biopsy), both of which yielded valuable information. I was amazed at how differently the two clinics were run, and how different their procedures and protocols are. Getting a second (or third or fourth) opinion, especially after some failed cycles is considered standard in this industry- and I've seen folks whose loyalty and faith to a particular doctor or clinic cost them years of fruitless trying and lots of money, without a baby in the end.

Listen to your heart, and make the best decision for you. Good luck!

Leah (33, DH- 33)
03/08- BFP w/ NO HELP, but m/c at 10 wks
3 IUIs- BFN
05/10- BFP w/ NO HELP, but chem preg at 4 wks
1st IVF in Aug. 2010- Fingers Crossed!
Leah (33, DH- 33)
03/08- BFP w/ NO HELP, but m/c at 10 wks
3 IUIs- BFN
05/10- BFP w/ NO HELP, but chem preg at 4 wks
1st IVF in Aug. 2010- Ganirelex protocol
08/11- ER, 40 eggs! 29 mature, 26 fertilized!
Froze 14, 7 made it to blast, 2 t
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 1:04am
When I switched clinics I had the same feelings as you. To top it off, the RE at the new clinic I ended up going to used to be a partner at my old clinic; they butted heads on some stuff so she went her own way and opened her own practice. I was expecting it to be awkward and what not, but they were very professional about it. I think most clinics are professional, they know it's just business. I'm sure many many patients switch doctors and the clinics are used to it. Good luck!

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 8:13pm

You do have to look at this as a business, and in any business relationship you want a WIN-WIN situation. You are investing with the hopes of having a baby. If you are unhappy then you must take the option at looking at other alternatives. I personally met with 3 clinics before I went with my first IVF. After my BFN I just asked for all of my records to be sent to another office...and then another office....and then another office. It's your information, and you have the right as a consumer to look at other doctors. Trust me, if you decide to go back to the first RE, he will take you back with open arms...I mean he really wants your $$$. I personally met with another 3 RE's before I moved forward with IVF #2. Best move I ever made since I am now pregnant. You have to be comfortable in this situation, and the only feelings you should be concerned about are yours.;)

I wish you luck in your search:) Keep us updated!

Keesha

Proud mom of Trevor and loving wife to Luke

Me (32)
DH (28)
Laparascopy 11/27 found endometriosis and scarred, blocked fallopian tubes
Laparascopy 7/18 removed fallopian tubes and polyp from uterus
TTC #2 through IVF #1 in Oct/Nov
DS conceived naturally in middle 20's Started Lupron 11/5/08 10 units AF won't show up...Why? Cuz of Big Ole' Cyst! Cyst GONE! Started stims 11/29 ER 12/11 ET 12/13 :^( Out of 9 eggs 2 fertilized normally

Keesha

Proud mom of Trevor and loving wife to Luke

Me (32)
DH (28)
Laparascopy 11/27 found endometriosis and scarred, blocked