Single Embryo FET? Should we bother?

iVillage Member
Single Embryo FET? Should we bother?
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 11:14am

Hi there.... i haven't posted on ivillage in forever. i actually used to be the CL for the TTC board. We found out i was infertile, and we had insurance for one fresh IVF round. That transfer resulted in miscarriage. Now i have one frozen embryo, which we are paying to be stored. i don't know what to do!

my doc says the best thing is to incorporate my frozen embie into a fresh cycle-not gonna happen, don't have the money for that.

So do i bother with one frozen embie? i can't bear to spend the money on a frozen cycle with odds stacked against us. i also can't bear to have my embie destroyed. Has anyone else been in my situation? do you have any advice? my husband isn't really sure what he thinks either. i'm sick of paying for the little guy to be stored if we are never going to transfer him anyway :(

-jen

Edited 8/12/2010 11:17 am ET by bobbitt_j
Infertility: TTC 38 months. Don't think about it much anymore!

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 5:26pm

Hey Jenny,

=), nice to *see you. I would transfer for sure. It only takes one as you know already. I agree with all the PP about closure for sure. Good luck and KUP.

Darla

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 9:44am

I recently did a single FET using our very last and poorest grade embryo of the batch and I am now 14 weeks pregnant!! Going into it I did feel that it was a waste of time and money.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-14-2010 - 5:40pm
Sorry to just jump in here, Jen, but I saw your name and had to read your post because I also remember you from being CL on TTC. I rarely check in there anymore as we are not actively doing anything at this point. My last hope before IVF was IUI with injectibles and that did not work out for us, we did that last Oct. So I am saving up to hopefully do IVF in the next year. My clinic has a program where you pay a flat rate (I believe) that will include a fresh round followed by a FET round, if needed. It's not going to be cheap and I'm not even sure what the meds will cost, since they use an outside pharmacy, but I like the idea of having both options open. We can only afford to do the one round and I gotta hope we have some that make it to freezing to give us that FET possibility. If we have any left after running out of money or potentially getting a BFP, I don't know what we'd do with the remainder. Very tricky situation, but I do recommend going with the FET if you can swing it. Good luck!!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 8:17am

Jen,

I really think it depends on the quality of your embryo. Is your clinic really picky about what they freeze? Is it 3 day or 5 day? My clinic only freezes really high quality embryos and only at day 5---and their success rate for FET's is comprobable to a fresh cycle. I had a failed first fresh cycle----and then had twins after transferred two blasts in a FET---it can happen! If it were me I'd go for it, but it is a lot of money. However, I don't see any gain in waiting---the storage fees will just pile up.

Rebecca

2005 5 IUIs + stims---all BFN
4/06 IVF #1 BFN
8/06 FET #1 BFP. Twins born 4/07
1/10 IVF #2. BFP.

Rebecca

2005 5 IUIs + stims---all BFN
4/06 IVF #1 BFN
8/06 FET #1 BFP. Boy/girl twins 4/07
1/10 IVF #2. BFP. Lost baby 4/10 at 11 weeks.
7/10 IVF #3 . BFP. Baby #3 due 4/8/11.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 7:57am

My clinique said they have higher success rates with fet.

Their reason is that they only freeze the best quality blasts becaust it is difficult to survive the freezing and thawing process - but those that do survive are superior quality and resilient, often giving a bfp.

So if it was me, I would def try!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 8:28pm

For what it's worth, a good friend of mine went through a fresh IVF cycle and ended up with three blastocysts- two were transferred and she miscarried. The one frozen embie, after thawing and being looked at, turned out to be "far superior" in quality to the two fresh embies that had been transferred... She's still early on, but things are looking good for her one little guy. At least for me, I would never be able to truly have closure without giving everything a shot... And you already went through stimming and ER and everything else to make that little guy- Keeping him frozen indefinitely or destroying him seems like such a waste. Lastly, $5000 seems really high for a frozen cycle- not that I doubt what you've been told, but just that as a last resort, you may as well call around to every clinic within driving distance and transfer your embie to the least expensive one for a frozen cycle. Then you'll have at least given it a shot. In Atlanta, frozen cycles are typically around $3000, at most- so even with transfer fees, you could save some money, if that's the primary factor. Just an idea.

Hugs,

Leah (33, DH- 33)
03/08- BFP w/ NO HELP, but m/c at 10 wks
3 IUIs- BFN
05/10- BFP w/ NO HELP, but chem preg at 4 wks
1st IVF in Aug. 2010- Ganirelex protocol
08/11- ER, 40 eggs! 29 mature, 26 fertilized!
Froze 14, letting 12 go to blast stage... Fingers crossed!
Leah (33, DH- 33)
03/08- BFP w/ NO HELP, but m/c at 10 wks
3 IUIs- BFN
05/10- BFP w/ NO HELP, but chem preg at 4 wks
1st IVF in Aug. 2010- Ganirelex protocol
08/11- ER, 40 eggs! 29 mature, 26 fertilized!
Froze 14, 7 made it to blast, 2 t
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 4:08pm

thank you for sharing, i will definitely keep that in mind. Part of my problem too is, i have NEVER had IVF work for me (i was a gestational surrogate a long time ago). Oh, almost everything they put in me sticks, but it never grows past heartbeat stage. i am starting to feel i am almost allergic to something or something. That is a really good price though, at least then i could consider a fresh along with my one frozen embie.

thanks Chris! if you want to move forward, i hope you get the chance to :)

jen

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 3:56pm

Hey Jen,
The reason I asked about SIRM is because I know girls there that have gotten full fresh cycles for $6500. That wouldn't be too much more then doing a FET. Just thought maybe it might be an option for you. I know they don't openly offer the $6500 amount but I know 3 girls on the SIRM boards that paid that for their cycles. You were off the boards by July of last year, but I transferred to SIRM last July, did 2 cycles with Dr. A. I really like him and everyone in their office. Then I did 2 cycles with SIRM Peoria. Long story for the reason I changed from St. Louis to Peoria but it had nothing to do with Dr. A. I am trying to convince my hubby to do frozen donor egg next year and will probably be going back to Dr. A for that.

Good Luck to you!!

CHRIS

----"Never give up on something that you can't stop thinking about every second of every day."----

Chris 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 3:47pm

thank you Amy... yes, we have the money, but it will be alot of money for us. It's around 5,000 and we have 2,000 to pay the clinic from in storage costs. If we can come up with the $ by january, i won't be charged another year of storage. that was enough for me to want to make a decision. my husband, not so much. he says just store it another year. Perhaps it is more wanting some closure than anything else after so long.

i am not even sure how long they are allowed to stay frozen.

Hugs & thank you
jen

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 3:35pm

:) Hey someone remembers me :) Yep i was going to SIRM. i really can't speak highly enough of them. my only complaint, they won't work for free ;) lol

i'm sorry to read it seems you have given up. For what it is worth, there is a certain kind of peace that comes with it. Once my decision is made on one my last embie, the book really will be closed for good.

Thank you for the insight.

jen

Edited 8/12/2010 3:39 pm ET by bobbitt_j

Pages