Sex Addiction - Real or Excuse to Cheat?

iVillage Member
Sex Addiction - Real or Excuse to Cheat?
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 11:30am

Tiger Woods has been in the news a lot lately since it was revealed that he'd cheated on his wife Elin.  It's brought to light the subject of Sex Addiction. 

What do you think?  Is Sex Addiction real or is it simply an excuse to cheat?

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 3:56pm
Oh, I definitely think sex addiction is real -- and it is an addiction that is particularly tough to break.

People who become addicted to alcohol, smoking, illegal drugs or gambling can (and must) give those things up completely. But what about people who are addicted to food or sex? Those can't be given up cold turkey. It must be a tremendous struggle to manage the addiction while still partaking of a healthy amount.

I don't condone what Tiger Woods did, but neither do I believe he should be vilified. Unfortunately, many people who suffer from an addiction of any sort have to hit rock bottom before they begin to recognize how great a hold whatever they're addicted to has on their entire life, and how it is affecting everyone around them.

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-15-2010 - 4:12pm

I completely agree with bunsofclay. I believe that it is a real addiction. If Tiger Woods had, had an affair it would not be the big media deal that it is. The amount that he cheated and the number of women, clearly shows not just a problem with commitment but a problem with something deeper.

There are also many types of sexual addiction and I'm learning, it can be more of a sexual dysfunction in some cases. A complete disconnect between sex & love.

Much like a food addiction, it's not about eliminating the relationship with food or sex, its redefining the relationship.

I wish there were a board for this on iVillage......for those who know someone suffering with this issue.

Winter Siggy

Thanks to Tanya for Beautiful Winter Siggy

Follow1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket" />

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

TeachersRule

Dianna
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 3:21am

I don't condone what Tiger Woods did, but neither do I believe he should be vilified. Unfortunately, many people who suffer from an addiction of any sort have to hit rock bottom before they begin to recognize how great a hold whatever they're addicted to has on their entire life, and how it is affecting everyone around them.

I agree, and that was very well put.

Photobucket

Still waiting for spring...

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 3:26am
Welcome to the board, Diana, and Happy Birthday!

It sounds as though you've either had to deal with this problem, or have spent time thinking about it. I hope things are going well for you now.

I'm Nenu, CL of this board, thanks for dropping by.

Photobucket

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 8:48pm

I so wish iVillage had a board for this! :)

As for the ? asked...I definitely believe in sexual addiction. It embodies so many different things though. Not just the actual act itself. There are people who use this as an excuse to cheat I'm sure. But their are people who are truly addicted and need all the support and help they can get. There is not enough awareness for this at all. Also a co-addicts board for the spouse or partners of sex addicts would be awesome!!

Thanks for listening...I'm new here by the way! :)

~Melissa~
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 1:01am

Hi Melissa,

I could not agree more, and I sent a suggestion to iVillage to start one. It's so new, there's so little support out there for it.

Best,
Dianna

Winter Siggy

Thanks to Tanya for Beautiful Winter Siggy

Follow1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket" />

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

TeachersRule

Dianna
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 5:15am
Hi Melissa, and welcome to the Sexual Health Board. Thank you for chiming in on this question. More than one person has suggested that a board devoted to the question of Sexual Addiction is needed. I'll pass your comments along.

I'm Nenu, the community leader of this board. Please feel free to post, start a thread, ask a question, or just tell us more about yourself!

Photobucket

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 4:20pm
Thanks Dianne and Nenu for welcoming me! I will definitely be posting more often!! :) Hopefully they'll start that board soon. I would love to be a part of it! If they do start one, how will we know?
~ndnprncs~
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 1:04pm

Here's an article debating if men like Tiger Woods and Jesse James are really addicted to sex or just cads.