Seat of Temptation Found in Brain?

iVillage Member
Seat of Temptation Found in Brain?
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 6:07am
Whenever you save money instead of splurging at the mall, or opt for the gym over a relaxing evening on the couch, you might want to thank a region of your brain just above the left ear. This brain area could be responsible for the human ability to resist temptation and wait around to reap rewards, a new study finds.

The results show that when this brain region, called the left lateral prefrontal cortex, is impaired, people are more likely to choose immediate yet smaller rewards over larger rewards that won't come until later.

The findings might one day help researchers to better understand psychiatric disorders like substance abuse and gambling, since alcoholics and gamblers are thought to have problems withstanding the pull of their drug of choice.

Read more here:

Seat of Temptation Found in the Brain

Photobucket

Still waiting for spring...

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 5:23pm
Parents need to realize that this portion of the brain is not fully developed until past adolescence, which explains why teenagers are so famously impulsive. They really can't help it; that's the way their brains work.

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health

NWHW Button

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 6:46am
It seems to me I've heard that before, or read an article about it. I thought it was through the link I posted, but I didn't find it, I found Study: Why Teens Don't Care instead. I'm not sure it's quite the same thing, though.

Photobucket

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 5:33pm
It is mentioned in the article you posted a link to, just a bit further down. I had read about it elsewhere quite a while back, but I don't have a link to that article. The teenage brain is fascinating, I think, and we can learn a lot about how to better interact with young people if we know a bit about what's really going on up there.

Siggy

NWHW Button

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 7:01am
I found I had the following link book-marked. It has links to a great many articles. I wonder if it's the same one you were thinking of?

Inside the Teenage Brain

Photobucket

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 10:43am
Yes, that's the one! Thanks for reminding me. It is a great program, if you haven't watched it. I also had a more recent article in mind, but I still can't find the link to it. It must be time to clean up my bookmarks!

Siggy

NWHW Button