Odds that she is pregnant?

iVillage Member
Odds that she is pregnant?
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 2:12am
My girlfriend and I had sex for the first time on May 5th she was a virgin. She is 18 and I am 19. Then again on the 7th. This time there was a problem with the condom. The semen came out the back of the condom. I noticed when I was taking it off that I had some on my chest. What are the odds of this causing a pregnancy?
From what we can remember her last period started anywhere from April 18-22. She is not on birth control at this time but she is planning on getting some soon.
The only symptom that might be a sign that she is pregnant is that she is having mood swings. This is common with her but she seems to think that these ones are worse then normal.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 8:07am
Hi angermanaged, and welcome to the board.

This is a tricky question to answer, but I'll do my best.

In general, and it really is a generalisation, a woman's menstrual cycle is 28 days. Not all women have exactly that cyclical predictability, however.

Ovulation usually occurs in the middle of the cycle, so in the case of a 28 day cycle, that would be around day 14. If your girlfriend started her last period somewhere between the 18th and 22nd of April, and if her cycle is a predictable one of 28 days, then she could have ovulated anywhere from the 1st to the 4th of May. There is also a period between 2 and 5 days around ovulation when a woman can become pregnant, because sperm will survive within her body for up to 48 hours, and the egg will also be present for a certain length of time after ovulation.

All I can do is give you this information. I cannot, in all honesty, predict what the odds are that she is pregnant, since you had sexual intercourse and a problem with the condom on the 7th of May. If she was ovulating on, soon before or after that date, and if any of the ejaculate leaked from the condom into her vagina, that means that you are facing a risk of her being pregnant. But what the degree of risk is, I don't know.

What position were you in when taking the condom off, that you noticed you had semen on your chest? Were you lying down on your back? Did you remain inside her for any length of time after ejaculation, or did you withdraw right away? In general, it's recommended that a man withdraw immeadiately after ejaculation and the condom be removed, in order to avoid this kind of leakage.

Her mood swings at this point could also be due to the stress and worry that she is pregnant. Otherwise, you'll know fairly soon if her period does start. If it does not, then she needs to be tested, so that you will both know.

Take care, and if you have any other questions, ask, and I'll try and help. Let me know what happens. I'm hoping for the best for you both, and that her period starts soon.

Photobucket

Basking in the wonder of spring...

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 9:47am
I did stay in her for a short period of time after ejaculating. I also was in the washroom when I removed the condom standing.