3 days late/ neg preg test/ thought?

iVillage Member
3 days late/ neg preg test/ thought?
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 6:32pm

My last period was April 21 (Wed.) - April 25 (Sun). I am almost always every 28 days never been late or missed (have been early). My boyfriend and I had sex on April 26 (Mon night) before he left. The condom broke, but he told me that he didn't come and we stopped. I didn't think much of till yesterday when I realize I should have had my period before now.  I don't think either of us are ready for a baby, but he wants one and I'm undecided. My period should have been on May 18 (Tue) and today is May 21 (Fri). I took a first response pregnancy test today, but it was negative. It says it can tell 6 days before your period and I'm 3 days late. April 26 is the only night that we were able to because I was on my period before that and he left the next morning. In addition to a negative test, I feel comfortable with the results because it wouldn't make sense that I am pregnant based on what I know. For me to be pregnant it would be from precome that came out of the condom when it broke. I know sperm can live usually 2 or 3 days and possible 5 days (but unlikely) in a woman. I know that most, but not all people ovulated 14 days from their period. If I'm like most woman than I would have ovulated on May 5. If any super swimming (precome) sperm swam than it would have died (April 28-May 1) by the time I ovulated (May 5). I just can't figure out why else I haven't had a period in 31 days. I didn't have much (if any) stress before this. I haven't gained or loss weight. I haven't exercised any more than normal. I haven't had any medicines or anything. I haven't been with anyone else. And I have the feeling my period isn't coming because I have an upset abdomen (probable from this) but no other PMS. It has mild pain on the lower left side and I'm bloaded like I would be with a period and I have a small fever that comes and goes. But I usually get a feeling its coming a couple days before it comes and I'm not getting the feeling. Plus I get a back ache and I want icecream to comfort me from my period before it comes. I require a little more sleep and I get whiny and direct without the extra sleep. Notta! I feel perfectly fine right now. It's usually on time, but once in awhile my period is a day or two early (but I still get that feeling of it coming). I don't feel like I do when I PMS but no unexplain pregnancy symptoms either. So, I don't think I'm pregnant but I don't think I'm going to have a period either. I'm very confused and concern. Where is my period? I hate it, but I still want it. Why don't I feel like I usually do, if I'm not pregnant than what might be happening. Can my test be wrong? (It's not hard, I follow the instrutions/ pee on a stick and place the cap back on and wait three min.) Oh well please share any useful thoughts.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-22-2010 - 2:47pm

Hi Missy, and welcome to the board. I really am not sure what to tell you about this. It sounds to me as though you have been quite careful in terms of keeping track of your period and your probable fertility dates, and have followed the instructions on the pregnancy test kit you used.

I totally understand your conflicting feelings of wanting your period to show up, and hating it, at the same time.

Sometimes I wonder if the slightest degree of stress can be enough to throw it off, even if we don't think we're stressed. Just having to anticipate that it might be so could do it, it seems to me, and you said that your boyfriend told you the condom broke, and he was conscientious enough to know it and stop.

Sometimes we do skip a period. It has happened to me more than once, and it is incredibly stressful. As I said, I'm really not sure what to tell you, but I will ask for some help and get back to you. In the meantime, I really hope that your concerns have been put to rest by your period starting.

Take care,

Nenu

Photobucket

Basking in the wonder of spring...

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-22-2010 - 5:03pm
I hope you don't mind an opinion from a guy, but my wife and I have quite a bit of experience with home pregnancy tests and their quirks in our younger years, and I'm wondering if you've tried taking a second test? Home pregnancy tests work by detecting levels of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) — the pregnancy hormone — in the urine. Your body will only release hCG if you're pregnant (when a fertilized egg implants in your uterus). In most women (but not all), this occurs about 6 days after conception. The hCG levels increase with each passing day of a pregnancy, doubling about every 2 days — which increases the accuracy of the test. Although it's possible for a test to indicate a positive result before your period is due, if you read the fine print you'll see that the 99% accuracy rate they claim is only for tests done a week after your missed period was due to start.

Your logic sounds valid as to why it's unlikely that you're pregnant, and as Nenu said it's entirely possible for stress to cause you to miss a period. A second negative test would likely do wonders for your peace of mind though.

Edited 5/22/2010 5:05 pm ET by bostonsteve
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 7:45am
Thanks for adding that information and advice, Steve.

Photobucket

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 9:20am

Hi!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 10:28pm
Thank you for trying to help me. I did a little research and your sort of correct. And what I learned was that your ovulation day decides when your period day is. So, the only way stress can delay your period is if you experenced it while ovulating. And I believe that to be the case. I started my period this morning. And I thought back to the begining of May. I was irritated at a friend for not listening to me when I told him I needed to study at the end of April. I was very upset with myself for not studying and it showing. I was scared that if I didn't pass a test within two tries that I'd have to retake the class.
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 10:35pm
Thanks for being brave enough to try and help. :) Everything is ok now. I started and I don't have to take the pt in a few days. Their was a little truth to the prevous poster said about stress and I guess that would explain why it was 5 days late. If their is stress around ovulation day than it can influence when a period when begin. I guess, it's a much different period than I am use to and thats why I didnt feel it. I am usually very good at knowing a day or two before based on my mood, my back, and the way my abdomen feels. I know when I'm being b*tchy
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 10:41pm
Thanks for your feedback. It actually ended up being 5 days late. There is no need for a second PT. I had a single spotting Saturday evening and then I began very lightly today. I'm assuming that it's from stress earlier this month. I guess, I didn't realize I was stressed at the time until really thinking about the impact the situation might have. So I guess, I was thinking of this without realizing it. But everything is ok now. Thank you for taking the time to try and help me.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 5:00am
Congratulations on having started your period, and thanks for stopping back to let us know.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 5:44am
Thanks for letting us know that your period arrived, even a bit late.

It seems to me, however, that stress can delay your period even if you have ovulated. I know that has happened to me on occasion. I don't have the time right now, but I'm going to check on that.

Photobucket

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 5:45am
Thanks for helping, Cheryl.

Photobucket

Photobucket

<

Pages