Part of a broken condom still inside me?

iVillage Member
Part of a broken condom still inside me?
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 11:49am

Hello all-

Last week, 6 days ago to be exact, a condom broke and part of it was not found after the incident. I think it may be inside of me still and I have been watching for it to work its way out, but I have seen no sign of it. I'm having slight abdominal discomfort and think the condom may be the reason. Should I continue to see if it comes out on its own? Are there health risks involved? I'm on the shot so preganancy isn't really worrying me, nor did he ejaculate before we noticed it was broken. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 3:15pm
Speaking for myself, I would definitely want it out. Irritation can occur with prolonged exposure to latex. Also, most condoms are dusted with cornstarch to prevent sticking to themselves when rolled, and I can imagine that would be an irritant as well.

Personally, I think it's worth a trip to the gynecologist or women's clinic to give you peace of mind.

Good luck to you.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 3:21pm

Thanks buns of clay :)

I actually decided to go digging around to see if I could find it. I did and was able to remove it. My abdomen is still a little painful. I was hoping this would go away upon removal of the condom, but it hasn't. I guess I will pay close attention and see if the pain subsides over the next few days and plan a course of action if need be.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 3:36pm
I'm so glad you were able to find and remove it!

You know, I would bet that everything will start feeling normal after a couple of days of rest. That piece of latex was in there for several days and probably caused a good deal of tissue irritation, so it's going to take time to settle down.

My husband had to have a urinary catheter following surgery a few years ago and was fine for the first day, but then the latex started to irritate his tissue so much that he

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 9:40pm

Update...

First a correction to my original post. The condom broke 5 days ago, not 6. So, as the day has gone on, I still am not feeling better. My stomach is in a little bit of pain and discomfort, as well as what feels like my kidneys. It almost seems like my insides are spasming and at times it feels like the wind has been briefly knocked out of me. I'm concerned about toxic shock syndrome, although I know it is very rare. Thoughts?

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 2:51am

Hi, and welcome to Sexual Health. I'm glad that you found the bit of condom and got rid of it.

I've been looking for information about Toxic Shock Syndrome, and have found this web site:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/toxic_shock_syndrome/article_em.htm

Here is some information taken directly from that web link:

Toxic Shock Syndrome Symptoms

Many people with toxic shock syndrome experience a 2- to 3-day period of mild symptoms before they develop the disease. These mild symptoms may include low-grade fever, muscle aches, chills, and malaise (a feeling of general discomfort, uneasiness, or ill health).

Toxic shock syndrome can affect most organ systems in the body, including the skin, lungs, liver, kidneys, blood, and pancreas. All people with toxic shock syndrome have a fever and a rash, as well as symptoms in at least 3 other organ systems. These symptoms or findings may include the following:

* Fever greater than 102°F (38.9°C)

* Rash (The rash of toxic shock syndrome is a red sunburnlike rash that covers most of the body. It is flat, not raised, and turns white if pressed. The rash may be difficult to see in dark-skinned people. Redness of the eyes, the lips, and the tongue may also occur.)

* Headache (very common)

* Muscle aches

* Sore throat

* Cough

* Nausea and vomiting

* Diarrhea (profuse and watery)

* Abdominal pain

* Lightheadedness or fainting (especially on standing up)

* Confusion or disorientation

* Low blood pressure (systolic less than 90 mm Hg)

When to Seek Medical Care

When to call the doctor

* Adults

o If a high fever is present without a rash, as well as some of the symptoms of toxic shock syndrome, call the doctor.
o

o Many viral illnesses can cause fever and sore throat, cough, malaise, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, and muscle aches.

When to go to the hospital

* Children: Take a child to the pediatrician or the hospital's emergency department if he or she has a fever, has a flat (not bumpy) rash, is not acting normally, seems confused, is short of breath, or faints.

* Adults: If fever is present with some of the toxic shock syndrome symptoms, along with a red rash, proceed to the hospital's emergency department for evaluation. Have someone else drive, especially if feeling lightheaded or confused. Women who are menstruating and using a tampon should remove the tampon prior to going to the hospital.

You will best know if the symptoms you are experiencing fall into any of those listed above. At any rate, I would stronly advise you to see your doctor. Take care, and I really hope that this settles down for you soon.

Photobucket

Basking in the wonder of spring...

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 5:55pm
I hope you're feeling better by now. Although the chances of you having Toxic Shock Syndrome are *extremely* low, a trip to the doctor would set your mind at ease and shed some light on your symptoms.

You may find that you have developed a sensitivity to latex because of the prolonged contact, and you might need to use non-latex (probably polyurethane) condoms in the future.

Again, good luck, and I hope your symptoms go away soon, if they haven't already.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 11:52pm
Thanks again ladies :) I am not feeling any better actually. Something is definately wreaking havock (sp?) on my organs. It's really wierd. It feels like my kidneys are spasming still, and when they do it kind of takes my breath away, like when you get the wind knocked out of you. When I push on my side, it feels like my liver is sore. When I take a drink of anything my kidneys start throbbing. I have ruled out TSS because I think I would have more severe symptoms by now. If it doesn't go away in the next day or two, I'm calling my Gyno to see if I can get an exam and find out if she can she any apparent infection. I'm not having any kind of odor or discharge, so that's a good sign I think. I'm hoping I just had a reaction to the latex or the fact that there was a foreign object in me for 5 days, and my tissue is inflamed or something.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 3:43am

Please do not wait, go to see a doctor right away. If you feel your kidneys and other organs aren't right, listen to your body. It's better to get checked out and be fine than to dally.

Take care, but again, don't wait for a couple of days.

Photobucket

Basking in the wonder of spring...

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 10:33am
Well, I just called the gyno and I go in Friday morning. I explained to them what happened, so I don't know if they will give me a pelvic exam or a urine test. I try to not self-dignose, but researching my situations sometimes makes me feel better. Upon further digging, it seems as though I may have a urinary tract infection that has moved into my kidneys. Hopefully this is all it is. I don't even know if it's possible for a piece of a broken condom to cause an infection in my bladder then kidneys, but we'll see. I hate that I have to wait 2 days to get in, but that's the Doctor's office for ya... I'll keep you posted and let you know what
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 12:13pm

Latest

Pages