Lost my grandfather in Feb.

iVillage Member
Lost my grandfather in Feb.
Fri, 07-22-2005 - 4:26pm
My grandfather passed away in February of this year.He was 90 years old. I am 28 and have been very close to he and my grandmother (now 88 yrs.old)..I thought I had greived and accepted that he is gone, but now the time has come that my grandmother is selling the home that they lived in for 55 years. This has brought on another round of depression for me. I spent nearly every weekend with my grandparents for all of my childhood, up until I was in high school and started dating. My mom,dad,brother,aunt,uncle and cousins went over there for Sunday dinner every Sunday for all of my life until a few years ago when their health started getting bad. I have been in counseling for various reasons for a few years now and I know that I was very fortunate to have them for as long as I have. Most people don't live that long and have as good of lives as they had. Now that the house is being sold, it is like a part of my life is being ripped away from me. I know that the other members of my family are having a hard time too. My aunt and dad grew up in that house and have alot of memories there too. I have talked to my grandmother about how I feel and she told me that it wasn't easy for her either, but it was a part of life and she had accepted it,she knew that she couldn't stay there by herself. (She is currently in an assisted living home) her mind is still great and she gets around pretty well w/ a walker, but she is unable to be alone. It is really upsetting to me to see her have to get rid of everything in the house. My grandfather was a cabinet and furniture maker and almost all of the furniture in their home was made by him, so all of us are getting some very special peices that he made. I just wanted to share my story and ask if anyone knows of any books that are good in helping to deal w/ this type of loss?
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-22-2005 - 8:16pm

I, too, have grieved over the loss of a place -- a place that was significant in my life.

AcornLeaves