Sedative for colposcopy?

iVillage Member
Sedative for colposcopy?
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 1:30pm
I'm scheduled for a colposcopy on April 2nd and was wondering if anyone knew if I would run into any resistance if I asked my doctor for a sedative? I always have a fairly difficult time during my regular pelvic exams which only last about a minute so I know there is NO way I will be able to relax for the amount of time needed for the coloposcopy. I'm terrified right now so I can just imagine how I'm going to feel the morning of the exam. :(

Thanks

Kim

Kimberly

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 4:11pm
You might run into some trouble depending on your doctor...if they give you any trouble after asking for something just explain you have anxiety especially when it comes to things of this nature....they should be understanding and if not...I personally would find a doctor who is...

Good Luck

Missy

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 9:17am
If you are only getting the colposcopy I doubt you will find a Dr willing to prescribe a sedative, the exam really doesn't take that much longer than a regular pelvic exam. If you have to get a biopsy done, then maybe a sedative might be more warranted. Just try some deep relaxation and meditation while on the table.. maybe that will help you (I know yeah right!)

Colps aren't really that bad.. take some ibuprophen or tylenol before you go that will help with some of the uncomfortableness of it all.

Good Luck,

Ginny :)

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 11:05am
As far as I know I will definitely be having a biopsy done b/c the doctor mentioned something about needing a tissue sample. I'm going to call the doctor on Monday and see if she would be willing to prescribe a muscle relaxer or something like that for me. Maybe I'll get lucky. :)

Kim

Kimberly