Bacterial Vaginosis AGAIN!!!!

iVillage Member
Bacterial Vaginosis AGAIN!!!!
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 10:27pm
I am so very tired of having Bacterial Vaginosis. I have taken Flagyl for 14 days either last month or beginning of this month (because 7 days of it didn't work) and I still have BV. It seems that orgasms (not through intercourse) really bring it on worse, but how do I get this to clear up??? I've had it recurring for almost 4 years now and I'm highly frustrated. I would like to have an intimate relationship with a man (it's been 2.5 years), but it's embarrassing to deal with. Any words of advice would be most helpful and I have talked to 3 ob-gyns and my regular physician. They have no answers either. Thanks.

Jag

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 10:32pm
Well after getting advice from members on the board, I started to take Acidophilus. It is a vitamin supplement that has "good bacteria". It works for me and I am know free of BV. I am so happy. I think you should try it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 9:06am
I have tried Acidophilus in pill form and then started eating Yogurt EVERY day for the past 4 months and it doesn't help me. Thanks for the advice, though. Let me know if you come up with anything else.

Jag

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 9:35am
Acidophilus and yogurt are more for Yeast I think than BV. What does your Dr say?? I get so tired of the fact that they try to mask the problem with meds than try to figure out WHY you get what you do. Maybe there is something that you are using, a soap or detergent that is making it happen?? You could ask someone at a health food store, maybe there is another supplement that they can recommend.. Garlic or something. WHen I found the yeast fighters for my yeast it was a GOD SEND. Maybe start a chart and see what you have been doing daily that could contribute to it... I feel for you I really do, I know it has to be so frustrating. I had problems with yeast for 10 years and BV for about a year.. I honestly dont' know what cleared it up.. although I think when I had my cone biopsy most of my problems went away. Are your pap smears coming back normal?? Sometimes I wonder if using meds over and over don't hurt... you could try douching w/betadine .. I did that when I was having problems. Just be careful cuz that can stain. My Dr had me doing that when I was having problems. Maybe it'll help you.

Good luck and I hope I helped somewhat.

Gin :)

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 2:16pm
Acidophilus is more for yeast... you are right, but I try anything at this point. I have tried douche with betadine as well as it was the advice of one doc. Another says to never douche. I have changed detergents. Mom wants me to use a baby's kind, like Dreft, but it's very expensive. My paps are normal, thank goodness. My history is that I've always had something wrong... went with recurring yeast, then trichinosis, then for 3 years had recurring inflammed cervix, then 4 years of BV... it never ends with me. I've been divorced for 4 years and want to get into an intimate relationship, but it's embarrassing. I will have to tell the guy of my awful problem and how "oral" sex can not be performed. How embarrassing to have to have that conversation. BV occurs in women of child bearing age they say... I'm 33 and child free and have been sex-free for 2.5 years.

Oh, I'm even in the middle of trying an internal body cleansing 30-day regiment involving natural herbs... I'm about 20 days into it... it's not helping, either.

Thanks for understanding and trying to help. I'll be calling the doc tomorrow... they told me that if the last batch of meds didn't work, they wanted to see me again, but I'm going to ask WHY? Just to get the money again? Just to tell me that I have what I tell them I have? No, I want an answer, a cure. I'm sick of this. The symptoms seem to explode either after a period or an orgasm (not from intercourse). I hate being a woman.

Thanks again... I'll shut up now.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 3:24pm
Hi! I feel your aggrevation..trust me! I have been dealing with reoccuring BV for over a year now. I have taken Flagyl twice and Metrogel once. After finishing up with the metrogel, I started taking Vitamin C and Acidophilus everyday. I know that you have already tried the Acidophilus, but the Vitamine C is supposed to keep the vagina acidic which will make it a more favorable environment for the good bacteria to thrive. I also switched to dye and perfume free laundry detergent and use summers eve feminine wash for sensitive skin to wash down there...it is soap free. I try to wash my underwear and towls in hot water. It also helps to make sure that you dry yourself very well after showering. Lately my BV seems to have gone away. I am not sure if any of this will help you...Good luck! You are not alone.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 6:44pm
I can't say that I've taken Vitamin C and Acidophilus together, but I've eaten yogurt everyday in the past 4 months and have taken Vitamin C about 90-95% of the time. I will try the feminine wash you suggested. I also wash my undies in hot water, but I switch detergents and never noticed if it is dye/perfume free... what brand do you use??? I will certainly try that!!!! I will try anything that I haven't yet. And in return, I can tell you that if you use the ice cream topper called "Shell" on your flagyl pills, it really covers the nasty taste! You have to put the pills in the freezer for the chocolate to harden on it. Thanks... and yet the only way for any of this to work is if I can get the darn infection to go away - it seems that I haven't been able to do that yet.

Jag

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 7:02pm
P.S. Are your underwear colored? I have 100% cotton undies, but I have them in various colors. I like my colors... it's the least I can wear since I can't enjoy my pretty ones. And, what about toilet paper? I've been using Charmin for the past several months and just bought Northern, so I'll see how that goes. Maybe this all contributes??? I don't understand how, though, if this is an imbalance of good and bad bacteria. Thanks again.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 7:31pm
The laundry soap that I use is All Free, it is in white bottle. I also use dryer sheets by bounce that do not have dyes or perfumes. It sucks because I like the smell of laundry soap and dryer sheets, but for right now I am doing the perfume free thing. I am like you, I will try ANYTHING to get rid of this for good! I wear 100% white cotton panties. Oh, one more thing....I read that wearing tight fitting pants also can contribute to BV. Thanks for the shell topping tip for the Flagyl pills. I might have to try that someday....hopefully not soon though! Good Luck!
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 9:29pm
Since we are on this subject I have a question. I was diagnosed with BV this past week. My dr. gave me the gel stuff for it. I didn't have any signs of the 'cheesy discharge' that is described w/a yeast infection. Now tonight I noticed that I have it. Is this part of the healing or do you think I need to talk to the dr. again?

Thanks for you help!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 10:28pm
The medicine you are using is an antibiotic and will cause a yeast infection (wonderful side effect huh?) SO you will probably have to use the cream for that AFTER you finish the Gel.. unless you can get your Dr to call you in a Diflucan pill.

Gin :)

Pages