Embarrassing Question

iVillage Member
Embarrassing Question
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 11:10pm
Hi,

I am new here, my name is Leah :) I have an embarrassing health question. I get weird discharge that looks kinda like boogers but is greenish. Is that bad? I am 16 and have never been sexually involved. I really don't want to ask my step-mom because that would be really strang. Does anyone have any idea of what I might have?

Thanks,

Leah

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 11:39pm
Welcome Leah,

It's really hard to know for sure if your discharge is normal or related to some sort of an infection. Have you noticed an odor, itching, or burning with the discharge? If not, then it's probably normal. Otherwise you should see your doctor.

Best of luck to you!

Leisa

Leisa

aj34x44-_65-wgw0603.jpg picture by dannah

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 9:12am
And don't be embarrassed to talk to your step-mom. Many teens are embarrassed to talk to parents/stepparents and I don't understand why. My mother really guided me when I was that age and had any problems. Now at 33, I can tell both my parents anything... even my dad knows that I have recurring problems down there. He is very understanding to it and I'm glad to have that relationship. You may be surprised as to how much your step-mom can help. Give it a shot this one time and see how she handles it. I am not familiar with your problem either to give any advice. Always see a doctor (or talk to a parent) if something bothers you.

Jag

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 9:13am
Usually a greenish color discharge can mean a bacterial infection. You can get those from just wiping incorrectly (doesn't have to be sexual). If you have any fishy type odor or itching like Leisa said then you need to see a Dr because that means it's bacterial and will not go away on its own. You will need some medication.

Good Luck,

Gin :)

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 4:31pm
Thanks everyone for your help!

I guess it's not really greenish... it just sometimes has a weird tint to it. I don't have any itching, and it doesn't really smell. Maybe my discharge just changed consistency a little? I REALLY DO NOT want to see a gynocologist, espcially since I am so young. If worse comes to worse, I'll mention it to my older sister.

Thanks,

Leah