Separated Symphysis

iVillage Member
Separated Symphysis
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 11:27am
How early in pregnancy can Separated Symphysis occur?
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 8:16pm
depends. with my first, it started around 24 weeks. this time (as in right now) i've had it since beginning of second trimester. it is already bad. i hope that this is not something you have since i know what it's like. keep in mind, it's not actually a separated bone, but a relaxation of cartilage that throws off your pelvis alignment. i have not found anything that helps with it. my ob has ended up giving me vicodin which i take an hour before bed every night, otherwise i become crippled and can't get up with my 8month old. i am now 29 weeks along.

i know that only in rare cases does it actually break or split. hope this helps and hope if it's about you it doesn't get too severe.

valerie

~Valerie
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 11:55pm
What is seperated symphysis? I have never heard of it and am just curious.

Missy

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 6:20am
your pubic symphasis is cartilage that connects to your pubic bone areas. when you are pregnant, progesterone is present causing many joints to relax in prep for labor. sometimes, it overrelaxes and in that area causes the pubic bone area to be misaligned which is really painful. it generally goes away, but there is no temp treatment. although some try physical therapy.

valerie
~Valerie