tiltedUterus and bowel movement problems

iVillage Member
tiltedUterus and bowel movement problems
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 1:53pm
I was diagnosed with having a tilted uterus since the birth of my first child. I now have had four pregnacies. I did not take notice of myself until recently. For about the past 5 years I have had trouble with my bowel movements, especially durning my onset of my cycle. I get very concipated. I know that it is normal to be concipated. But to the point that it is very strenous to pass my bowels. At times I get sever back pains, like I am not able to walk cause of it. Or I will get stomach pains, to the point that I cant pick stuff up or bend over. I have seen a gyn and family doctor. all they can tell me is to take metemusil and eat more fruits and veggies. I have done that and drinking more water than use to. I cut out drinking teas at times. but that does not seem to help. I was wondering if my uterus can be tilted that can cause me to have problems passing my bowels. If this is possible, who do i go see to get this checked out. my gyn told that this is not at all possible. I did not believe him. what would a guy know?
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 1:24am
Occasionally a retroverted uterus can be dislocated enough that it can put pressure on the intestines causing constipation. However, it would normally be a severe retroversion for this to happen. Have you had an ultrasound to check your uterus? I know fibroids very commonly cause this symptom.

All I can really tell you is that if your gyn doesn't seem to be taking you seriously, then you should probably find one who will.

Best of luck!

Leisa

Leisa

aj34x44-_65-wgw0603.jpg picture by dannah

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 7:13am
yes, i did have an ultra sound. but my uterus was not the focus. my ovaries were. the tech. who took the ultra sound said that my uterus seems to be tilted. but did not stress how sever. so i did not think of asking how tilted. thank you for your imput and i think i will have it checked out further.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 10:08pm
I, too, have a tilted uterus. It has never caused me any problems with bowel movements. I have had problems with them since I had my second child. I think it was a matter of how i was sewn up after birthing. It's weird!! It's like there is a pocket between my vagina and anus. I know it sounds gross!!! Do you think that could be a factor?