No luck with colposcopy

iVillage Member
No luck with colposcopy
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 11:51am

I wasn't able to make it through my colposcopy today. The gyn was barely able to get the speculum in before I was in tears from the pain. I tried to relax with deep breathing but that didn't help at all. I had even requested some sort of muscle relaxer beforehand but they said they didn't have anything and that I would be fine without it. Now I have to reschedule to have it done in the hospital under anesthesia. I was so embarrassed and humiliated. Hopefully I won't have as much trouble with my next one. :(

Kimberly

Community Leader
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 1:02pm
I'm so sorry you had such a tough time. Good luck with the next one.

Kristin

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 1:04pm
that's too bad!! they could have called in a prescription for you to pick up and take before hand for something like valium. giving you one tablet shouldn't have been a problem. it seems they are going to the extreme to put you under anesthesia for this. personally, i would ask them about valium or see another doctor. they sound a little insensitive. better luck in the future.

valerie

~Valerie
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 3:39pm
Aw I'm so sorry it was so difficult for you.. please don't feel embarassed or humiliated, Drs are use to this type of thing and you warned them ahead of time. It's their fault not yours.

I'm sorry to hear you have to be put under, but I doubt it will take very long or be very much anesthesia... if you are getting a biopsy it might be best anyway then you won't feel anything! Hang in there.. and don't let it upset you. Just do what needs to be done.

Gin :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 7:37pm
Thanks for your words of support, everyone. I know that I shouldn't feel bad, but it's just so embarassing to be unable to make it through a simple medical procedure. I don't understand why I always have these problems when it comes to gyn exams. Maybe I need therapy or something. Who knows? Anyway, thanks again!

Kimberly

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 7:47am
I know exactly how you feel. They are very painful for me as well. I had a colposcopy a few years ago and bawled the entire time they were doing it. Luckily they had let my hubby stay in the room w/me. Not the greatest of things for him to witness but I'm glad that he was there.

I hope that it is better for you next time.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 8:49pm
Oh, sweetie, I'm soo sorry things didn't work out...I just don't understand why they wouldn't give you a mild sedative....yikes...well maybe going under will be better after all Good Luck

Missy