Preparing for first pelvic exam...

iVillage Member
Preparing for first pelvic exam...
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 9:28am
I just called planned parenthood to schedule my first exam, and when I asked if it was okay to have sex the night before, the receptionist told me yes. But when I came online to research exactly what a pelvic exam entails, every website tells me not to insert anything into my vagina for 48 hours before. (I'm assuming "anything" includes my boyfriend's penis.) Any advice? *Is* it okay to have sex the night before? Or should I trust the websites and wait until after the exam?

Any advice would be helpful! Thank you! :-)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 8:21pm
i would say it is best to wait on having sex til after the exam. semen leftover in the vaginal canal could potentially make obtaining an adequate pap smear difficult, or cultures for that matter. i suppose you could use a condom, but i would just wait.
~Valerie
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 8:23pm
The general consensus is to abstain from sex for a day or two prior...the reasoning being that it could contribute to an inconclusive or abnormal pap result. Are you having only a pelvic exam, or a pap smear also? Maybe that is they difference.

In any case, follow the advice of your clinic. Just as some don't do exams during your period - others do, and so obviously each clinic and each doc has his/her own preferences on everything.

`