Irritation

iVillage Member
Irritation
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 1:08pm
Hi. I'm hoping someone here can offer some advice.

I have a small cut/split at the very top of my outer labia/clitoral hood, directly above my clitoris (right where the two lips meet, so to speak). I have no clue how it got there, but it splits open every once in a while and it is incredibly painful. I have seen my gyn about it a couple of times. He prescribed a corticosteroid to help heal it up and soothe the itching around that general area.

It healed up about a week or so ago (it hadn't opened up in months prior to this) and, after I had my period, it's opened up again. The cut seems to be "dry" (i.e., it's not oozing anything), and it has a bright red irritated look. The skin around it is white and flaky (this is after a shower, so I know it is not dried secretions or medication). The steroid cream doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Not to mention that it is further irritated because I work out 4-5 days/week. I rubbed some vitamin E oil on the flaky skin last night to try and soothe it a bit. It's still a little itchy, but the flakiness seems to be gone. The cut is still there.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this, how to get it to heal up, and how to prevent it from happening in the future?