Swimming with a Yeast Infection

iVillage Member
Swimming with a Yeast Infection
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 3:06pm
I just started a 3-day treatment for a yeast infection. I'm concerned about swimming with this infection - should I wait until it clears up? I'm concerned the chlorine may irritate the infection. I plan on continuing running and weight training, but was concerned about swimming.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 5:12pm
I wouldn't! Not necessarily because of the chlorine with the infection, but because I wouldn't want that cream in the water with other swimmers (or me). It seems somehow not hygenic, like swimming with an open wound. When I was using estrogen cream I stayed out of the pool for the duration of the treatment, and that put a stop to my pool training and sent me up to the weight room instead for about 3-4 months.

You also want to keep your vaginal pH as close to normal as you can, to make it easier to get rid of the infection, and I'd think heavily chlorinated water wouldn't be good for normal pH.

Hope that helps!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 9:13am
Thanks. I was thinking that after I posted, especially since this cream tends to leak a little bit. I've got one more day of treatment, and I think I'll just wait until Thursday or Friday to swim.