Question about discharge, embarassing...

iVillage Member
Question about discharge, embarassing...
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:22am
First, I typed this message earlier, it timed out, then when I tried to get back into this board, it said it was gone. I don't know what's up, I'll try again.

I'm very embarrassed to ask this & sorry if it's gross. I am in my mid 40's and am very "moist". I have had a heavy discharge my entire adult life, am I alone? I'm even embarrassed to ask my gynecologist. During the day, I feel the discharge and always feel moist, add to that my regular sex with DH & I'm a dripping mess. The discharge isnt smelly or unhealthy, but it's so heavy, that it dries crusty & my underpants stick to my pubic hairs. It's so heavy on my underwear that it doesnt come off in the wash! I cant even imagine not wearing underpants, how do others do that? Am I unusual or is this a common thing with women that I don't know about? I'm sorry if this is gross but I just have to know.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:17pm
I don't think I can answer the question as to the normalcy of your discharge (though my guess would be that it is so long as it isn't foul smelling/etc as you say). I'm not sure, but I think that estrogen levels do contribute to the amount and consistency of your discharge - so it might be worth biting the bullet and asking your gyn about it at your next check up.

My only suggestion is for you to consider trying panty liners in the mean time...probably as much of a pain as the discharge itself, but perhaps it will save your undies. :)

`
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 9:19pm
I do not suggest wearing panty liners. By the vagina not being able to breath and you being moist already, that's a disaster waiting to happen (hot and moist when vagina should be cool and dry). I have a problem with recurring Bacterial Vaginosis and my doc told me to never wear pads or liners. I would suggest talking to your ob-gyn about this. They can maybe test to see if you do have any underlying problem. Best of luck.

Jag

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 1:28am
Welcome to the board!

I'd also suggest that you talk to your gyn. Please don't feel embarassed, believe me, this is what they specialize in! And your doc isn't gonna feel any different about you, that's what s/he's there for!

The panty liner thing...as long as you don't have an infection, then it should be perfectly alright to wear them. However, I wouldn't suggest wearing them all the time because they can cause irritation if worn for prolonged periods of time. Maybe try wearing them off and on during the day or when you're going out. I wouldn't wear them at night. That said, you may have already tried this.

All the best! And tell doc! There's probably something that s/he can recommend/prescribe that will treat this. And I also agree that it sounds like a possible hormonal imbalance, probably too much circulating estrogen. Many women just normally have more discharge than others though.

Leisa

Leisa

aj34x44-_65-wgw0603.jpg picture by dannah