Bacterial Vaginosis and climate ?

iVillage Member
Bacterial Vaginosis and climate ?
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 9:06am
I've done the searching on the net and can't find anything about this but I thought I'd ask. Does the climate/temperature where a person live have anything to do with reoccurring BV? It seems like if you live in a really hot/tropical location you could experience it more often, right?

I'm asking because I was diagnosed with BV for the first time a month ago, took the Flagyl and thought it was gone, but now it's back with a vengeance!!! (or at least I'm pretty sure it is... I'm calling to make an appointment to be sure). This time my symptoms are alot more noticible to me.

I live in Miami, and it's horribly hot here all the time. Could that make it more difficult for me to get rid of this?

(My apologies if this is in an archive somewhere. I'm on my way to work and I didn't have time to look.)

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:36pm
Yes, it is possible. Any situation where you're sweaty for prolonged periods of time can make you more susceptible to all kinds of vaginal infections. The best solution is to try to stay cool and dry, IF this was a contributer to your infection.

Leisa

Leisa

aj34x44-_65-wgw0603.jpg picture by dannah

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 7:26pm
Thanks for the reply. Went in for a check-up last night and they said I was totally fine. They saw no abnormal discharge and what they did look at under the microscope was negative for infection. I have no clue what was up on Tuesday, but I'm glad it turned out to be nothing this time. I guess I'm just being overly paranoid about everything since I had the biopsy...

Hopefully soon I'll be living in a less tropical climate and that won't be a problem.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 12:41pm
I disagree... I do believe that the heat plays a part in it, but I live where the winters are cold and humidity is low and I had BV ALL WINTER LONG!!! I can not get rid of it. I've been having BV recurring for 4 years now. I used to live in So. La. where it was hot, but now I don't. Soooo.... I hope you don't get it again. It's a pain in the butt. I find that if I leave it alone, the symptoms get less. I only know this because I've been working with my doctor via phone for the past 2 weeks after taking Flagyl and it not working and while waiting for a resolution, I'm getting better with each day. There is an archive called "Bacterial Vaginosis AGAIN" that I started so you can look for that one and read the replies. Good luck.

Jag

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 11:10pm

What a relief to know I am not alone in this...uhhhhh!! Ever since I was 16, I have had problems with BV. I have been prescribed antibiotics about 5 times, and they always work, but it usually comes back within a month or two. My doctor told me to stop using soap to wash, so I did...but it made no difference. I'm sick of it. It is embarassing, and it makes me feel as though something is the matter with me. Every time I have sex with my husband, it always is on the back of mind.."oh I hope everything is fine down there...", and really kind of ruins the mood for me. Now..when it comes, I just wait it out, and it usually goes away within a week or two, the pills, which were metronidazole, made me feel nauseous, so unless the doctor can prescibe something else, I prefer to wait it out. Also, I have concerns about becoming resistant to the medication if it is prescribed too much. I would like to know if anyone else that suffers from this nuisance, has any other things in common. I always (even when I dont have BV), have a heavy discharge, I wonder if this has something to do with recurrent BV.