Bleeding Between Periods

iVillage Member
Bleeding Between Periods
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 12:57pm
Hello all, great board!

I have a question to post here and am hoping for some insightful advice. The other day I noticed a little pink discharge and attributed it to some spotting (not something I normally have.) Then this morning during sexual intercourse w/ my BF there was a lot of blood like I had just started my period. That's what I thought it was, although I was a little surprised since it would be about a week early. So now I just went to change my tampon and there is NO blood. This must be bleeding between periods which I have never really had either (except for a few months when I started a new BC pill.) I am not on the pill now or any other birth control (we use condoms) and just had a gyno appointment and was tested for every possible STD. Pap smear was normal too. What else could this be all about?? I don't see much info on the web about bleeding between periods. Thanks girls!

Lindsay
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 10:12pm
Hi, I have the same exact problem, and it could even be from manual stimulation, not necessarily intercourse. I went to the DR, had all the tests and examination, and nothing. It is embarrassing and annoying, if you find anyone who can give you a good reason for this, please write me back. Thanks! -Erin
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 1:19am
there are a few things that can cause spotting......first off is an STD. But you all have been tested for those as well as a pap so that rules out cervical cancer as well. The other thing is, spotting in between periods when not on birth control pills can be attributed to ovulation, or in the case of pregnancy occuring, implantation spotting. could be either one of those. You never know. Spotting that occurs each month at mid month w/out pregnancy is likely ovulation spotting. Spotting that occurs before your period starts for a few consequetive days is likely a luteal phase defect (which is probably my problem now (see yasmin and appetite/mood post). As long as your spotting doesn't occur for days on end, or all month long anytime you have sex, and stays in the midcycle range, it is probably normal and nothing wrong. I hope I helped a little bit. Take care
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:23pm
This may not be the classic "bleeding between periods* type of thing. If it happened after intercourse, then it would be called bleeding after intercourse, which is a whole different thing. Many things can cause this, including cervical or uterine polyps. I'd suggest that if it happens again that you have a talk with your doc about it.

Good luck!

Leisa

Leisa

aj34x44-_65-wgw0603.jpg picture by dannah