ca125 count

iVillage Member
ca125 count
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 12:17am
Hi I am new here and a little scared. My ca-125 count was 280. what does that mean to ya:ll? Please hellp as my spouse is out of town and I have no one to turn to. This has been done very quickly!
iVillage Member
In reply to: geoghost
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 12:22pm
Without knowing more about you, its difficult to tell you what that score means. It's really not a very accurate test - often giving false-positives (especially if you're pre-menopausal, are pregnant, were having your period at the time of the blood draw, have endometriosis or fibroids), and only accurately testing positive about half them time when a woman actually does have ovarian cancer.

It's greatest usefulness, as far as I'm aware, isn't in detecting ovarian cancer - but in gauging the effectiveness of treatment after you already have it. (And if that's the case with you, then you'd need to compare it past or future tests.) Also, no one but your doc or lab can tell you what a value of 280 indicates, as the reference range changes with age and other variables.

This test when used alone really isn't an accurate measure of anything. Talk to your doc. :)

`
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:13pm
I completely agree! Many things can alter the results of this test, especially endometriosis. What did your doc have to say about the results? I'd have an indepth discussion with him/her about it.

Good luck!

Leisa

Leisa

aj34x44-_65-wgw0603.jpg picture by dannah

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 4:49pm
Thank you!! It does ease my mind! I will be talking to the doctor Friday!

CC