Is your GYN Clueless?????

iVillage Member
Is your GYN Clueless?????
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 1:47pm
Does anyone else here think their GYN is absolutely clueless? I've been suffering with Yeast for about 4 years and BV for 1 year. Wouldn't you think your GYN can find something that will work instead of overtreating the problem? I am so fed up with doctors thinking I don't know about my body and what affects it. I have been in the medical field for about 10 years and I have done a ton of research on these problems. Doctors just seem to think that they know more because they have a license to dispense meds. I hate being looked at like I don't know what I am talking about. Wouldn't you think if I get a yeast infection a week before my period that something is up? Also, if I get BV right after my period ends that something is up? I am so fed up and disillusioned.

p.s. I have become the biggest hypochondriac because of this. I changed my diet, cutting out most starches and such, I started taking Yeast Fighters from TwinLab about a week ago. Hopefully that will help.

Edited 4/12/2003 2:02:38 PM ET by yasicht

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 3:56pm
I suffer from BV as well (for 4 years now) and yes, after a period is when the symptoms show up. As for your yeast problem, have you tried taking Acidophilus or eating yogurt daily. That usually helps. Also, antibiotics can cause it and having sex with an untreated partner... I'm sure you know all of this already. It sucks being a woman sometimes! We put up with so much.

Jag

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 4:41pm
The Yeast Fighters I take contain 2.5 billion acidophilus. I am taking them religiosly every evening before bed. It also contains Biotin, Fiber, Garlic, Caprylic acid, Echinacea, Goldenseal, Pau D' Arco, and Black Walnut Seed. I started them the week before my period and I didn't get a YI so maybe that's helping. My boyfriend has been treated for BV the last 2 times along with me and I still keep getting it so I know its not him. Thank God I have such an understanding boyfriend!! Acidophilus is supposed to help with BV as well. I think my main problem is that my GYN switched me to a lower dose of estrogen in my BCP's and I have become very dry and irritated. I don't even get lubricated. We use lube religiously too. I'm just very weary of going to the GYN every time I have a problem and getting the stupid answer that "It just happens to some women, you have to deal with it." I think its because they know that these problems are the main reasons many women go to the GYN and they don't want to lose their business.
Community Leader
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 3:04pm
There are 3 major reasons that cause recurrent yeast infections. 1. Prolonged use of antibiotics, 2. Diabetes, 3. Birth Control Pills. I have the same problem you do! I was on the pill for at least 5 years and I think that's why I have so many yeast problems now. I stopped taking the pill in November last year and I'm still struggling. I've recently started taking garlic supplements. Supposedly, garlic is an antifungal. I had a drink Saturday night and no itchiness Sunday morning! I can't even remember the last time that happened! There is hope!

By the way, I totally agree with you on the doctors. I had one try to tell me it was all in my head! I won't be seeing her again!

Hang in there. You're not alone!

Kristin

Photobucket