Spotting after polyp removal

iVillage Member
Spotting after polyp removal
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 12:02pm
Hi, I'm new to this board and have a question about irregular bleeding/cervical polyps. I'll start with a little history. I have a family history of ovarian cancer so I have the following regular screenings: Pap Smear and CA125 in February and Intra-Vaginal Ultrasound in September. Last September I had a complex ovarian cyst so I followed up with CA125 and another ultrasound in October, both of which were normal. My pap and CA125 in February were normal. So, I should assume that I'm healthy - btw, I'm 39.

Fast forward to March. I recently started a new relationship and, after no sex for 4 years, became intimate with this guy. From the first time, I noticed bleeding after intercourse. It varies between light bleeding to spotting and can last from a few hours to a day. I have always had irregular periods but in the last year or so have had spotting that can last up to 10 days after the bleeding has stopped. So, I called my gyn's office and asked if the bleeding after intercourse was anything I should worry about, given the normal exam in February - I spoke to a nurse practioner I've never seen before and she wanted me to come right in. Before she even examined me she started talking about endometrial biopsies and cancer. She said she just wanted to catch anything early and the bleeding patterns I described told her I needed to have the biopsy. She got everything ready and then examined me. Once she took a look, she said that I had a cervical polyp and it was large enough that she didn't want to try to remove it so she got a doc. The doc was also someone I've never seen before but they were both very nice. She removed the polyp and said it was quite large but nothing to worry about. She sent it off for a biopsy, which I'm assuming was normal since I haven't heard anything. She used a chemical to cauderize the area so the polyp wouldn't return but said to come back in 6 months just to make sure. She said the polyp could easily have caused the irregular spotting after my periods but I should come back in for an endometrial biopsy if it's not resolved in 2 months.

This all happened so fast that I couldn't think of any questions. I thought I was just going in for an exam and another pap test. It's been a week now and I'm still spotting from the polyp removal - or possibly from my period, which is two weeks late now.

If you've stuck with me this long, you deserve an award of some sort. Here are my questions:

If the polyp was that large, shouldn't it have been noticable during my exam in February? I just want to make sure they are being careful, given my family history.

How long should I expect to spot after a polyp removal?

Is an endometrial biopsy really necessary if all of my ultra-sounds are normal?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Karen

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 2:57am
Welcome Karen:)

First of all, let me say that you should call and inquire about the results from the polyp removal. The results may not be back yet if it was only a week ago that you had the polyp removed, but don't just assume that no news is good news. Some practices are so swamped with their workloads that occasionally they overlook things such as lab results.

Cervical polyps can sometimes grow pretty rapidly for whatever reason, but it's also very possible that it was just simply overlooked in February. This happens often believe it or not! Unless you have a specific problem that could indicate polyps, etc, they are often missed. They shouldn't be though! The doc should completely do his job and thoroughly examine the patient!

The spotting can vary from woman to woman. It's not unusual to still be spotting after only a week though. If this is not your period, and the bleeding gets any heavier, then you should give your doc a call and let them know.

The endometrial biopsy really has nothing to do with the ultrasounds, regardless of what they reveal. The reason she wants to do this procedure is because if the spotting/bleedng after sex is not resolved by the polyp removal, then clearly this may indicate that the abnormal spotting is not caused by the polyp, but something else entirely, which could still be something totally benign, so not to worry yet! Uterine polyps, fibroids, endometriosis, hormonal imbalances, vaginal dryness (from an estrogen deficiency) etc, can also cause bleeding after intercourse.

I would recommend that you call doc's office back today and ask if they have the results back, and to ease your mind a little, let them know you're still spotting and ask how long that should last, but it is normal though.

I wish you the best! Feel free to post anytime!

Happy Tuesday~~

Leisa

Leisa

aj34x44-_65-wgw0603.jpg picture by dannah