Can Oral Clindamycin Treat Trichomonas?

iVillage Member
Can Oral Clindamycin Treat Trichomonas?
Wed, 10-13-2004 - 8:46am
i dont think I posted in the right place one time, but rightnow Im takin the Pills of Clindamycin to clear up an infection, Now I have Trick also, and I wanted to know, while taking the Clindamycin, will it clear up the Trick?
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-13-2004 - 11:15am

Here's some information I found on Trichomonas:

For more than 30 years one drug, metronidazole (Flagyl or generic), has been the standard treatment for trichomoniasis. Indeed, it is the only oral medication available in the U.S. for treatment. In most cases, infection is cured in women with a single oral dose of two grams.

...It is important that your sex partner also be treated; otherwise re-infection is likely. Sexual contact should be avoided until both partners are treated.

http://www.ivillagehealth.com/library/nwh/content/0,,215912_227396,00.html

According to this information, the Clindamycin will not treat the Trichomonas. You should see your doctor for treatment for trichomoniasis as soon as possible.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-13-2004 - 11:17am

I don't know, but here's what I found:

"For more than 30 years one drug, metronidazole (Flagyl or generic), has been the standard treatment for trichomoniasis. Indeed, it is the only oral medication available in the U.S. for treatment. In most cases, infection is cured in women with a single oral dose of two grams. Pregnant women may be treated with metronidazole. There is no reason for a follow-up visit if you do not have symptoms after the treatment or if you had no symptoms before treatment. For those who fail treatment, longer courses of metronidazole are recommended, usually for three to five days.

It is important that your sex partner also be treated; otherwise re-infection is likely. Sexual contact should be avoided until both partners are treated."

Try calling your doctor or pharmacist!

Kristin

Co CL -

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-13-2004 - 11:20am
LOL! Great minds?

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-13-2004 - 11:30am

LOL

We seem to be on the same page today...

Kristin