Painful Gyno Exam

iVillage Member
Painful Gyno Exam
Wed, 06-21-2006 - 10:30pm

I have a gyno appointment coming up & have some concerns. I am 30 & still a virgin. I have only been to the gynocologist once before about 3 years ago. The exam went ok...it started out fine but then got increasingly painful to the point where I began tensing up which only made it worse. I dont know what the doctor was doing to cause the pain (if it was the speculum, the pap, or the manual exam) but Im afraid of this happening again. I wasnt sure what to expect but I have used tampons so I was told that would help alittle. When the exam was over, I noticed I was bleeding enough to ask for a pad. Im not sure if this was normal or not. A friend of mine said sometimes some doctors cut your hymen on purpose to benefit you later on. Im not sure if this is what happened. If so, I suppose my next visit should be less painful? Is it normal for a virgin to bleed after an exam? Or is there a certain procedure that is the most painful during a gyno exam??? Is there anything I can request to make it more comfortable?
Im so fearful of it being just as painful as the first exam. SInce the pain didnt start until mid-way through, I for some reason think it might have been when she was swabbing? I dont know what can be the most painful procedure.

Thanks

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-22-2006 - 2:06am

I am like you in that I am a virgin in my thirties. So, I can understand your fears and hesitancy. It sounds like you went to a gynocologist who was careless and rough for you to bleed. This was especially so if your hymen was broken during the procedure and the doctor did not discuss his intent to break it or the fact that he accidently broke it. This physician sounds unprofessional and I hope you have chosen a new doctor for your next visit. Based on what you have said, there is a strong possibility that the speculum caused the majority of the internal discomfort and eventual bleeding. I say this because the speculum comes in different sizes and is inserted into the vagina to open it up and allow the doctor to view inside and do the pap smear. There is also a possibility the bleeding could have been caused by the manual exam if the physician was rough. I have never heard of people bleeding after exams. Not even virgins. Therefore, I wouldn't say it is the average norm.

You may want to consider asking around to see if there is a gynocologist other women are happy with and see as kind and competent. When you go on the exam, tell the physician that you have had some pain and discomfort and bleeding in the past from a previous exam. Ask them to use the smallest speculum or pediatric speculum. The speculum is what usually causes the most discomfort during exams if it actually causes any discomfort. If you feel comfortable and they haven't asked, let them know that you are a virgin and are not used to objects other than tampons in your vagina. Try to relax because tensing up can add to the discomfort that you might already feel because the area may be tender to the touch or senstive from "lack of use".

I have been to two gynocologists and two examinations and have found that the smallest speculum or pediatric speculum works best. I don't have a hymen, but I do experience pain and discomfort. I think doctors may be assuming that most older women are sexualy active or have been and they start off with instruments for a woman who is used to vaginal penetration. That has happened to me. They always end up scaling down in size. It will be hard to predict if your next visit will be less painful, but a successful visit might be in store for you if you have open communication with the doctor.

I hope this helps. If there is anything you would like to know about my exams, feel free to ask. Good luck with your appointment.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-22-2006 - 2:43am

It is normal for a first gyn exam to be uncomfortable, and especially so for a virgin.

I doubt that your doctor was intentionally

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-22-2006 - 6:35am

ITA with the last post.

I bled during my last exam and I have not been a virgin for 11 years now. Honestly though, had she not told me I was bleeding, I never would have known.

Anyway, to the OP, you might want to mention to the dr that you are a virgin (also bc this will make you a candidate for the HPV vaccine).

cl-tiffany10605

Got debt questions? We got answers.

Debt Q&A

cl-tiffany10605

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-22-2006 - 10:57pm

"It is also very common to bleed after a pap smear."

I have a question about this. After my first visit with my first gynocologist, I started my period later that day. I was a week early and I am someone who is never that early and has very regular periods. Was the period unrelated to the pap smear or could the pap smear have brought my period in early?

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-09-2006 - 2:24am
I have had a verry bad time with this issue. During a pap smear I hyperventalate do to sever burning and feeling like I am being ripped appart.like you I am in my 30's 34. Embarraed but never had sex. I feel like a scared kid ever time I go. I am allways aplogysing for who I am to my Dr. She tells me not to worry its ok. This can't be normal. the burning and ripping feelings like theyare ripping my insides out. I think my learning Disablity makes this test worse because it make me more sinivite to feelings. MY Dr she use small speculum and tells me to relax. I try no luck. I even get very light headed and fell sick to my stomach when she dose the finger exam. I hate that paper sheet on me I can't see and when I can't see I freeek out I have to have controll over my body. I want to tell you there is a better way. I have not tried it yet but its called Femspec and its suppost to be like a tampon insetion and then this soft (Looks like bubble wrap for packing but stronger. Is blowen up inside and then they can get the cell sample with a long qtip. it sounds much friendlyer to me. I looked it up at femspec.com you should too go and see. Not many Dr have this type of tool yet but ask about it and push for the dr to get it. If more people ask about it maybe life for people like us will get better. I am also trying the theroy that if I see it go in see what she is doing as she does it I can fell better in controll and learn some thing about my self in the process to have this test with out pain might happen. Good luck with your Dr visits!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-10-2006 - 12:32am

I'm 29, and also a virgin. I'm on the pill, though, to regulate my cycles. So I've been going to the doctor every year for the last 7 years! Anyway, like all of you, my paps have been very uncomfortable. I know it's because of the speculum because I feel nothing until it's inserted. I've felt a variety of things during my exam, mostly strong menstrual cramp-type feelings, but I've sometimes felt constipated, or that I was burning down there. I've never bled, though. It sounds like you gals have been lucky, though, and ended up with a patient doctor. I've had my fair share of doctors, most of who get very impatient with me. Most don't believe it when I say I'm a virgin (though I bet they believe it when they start with the procedure!) And they've treated me like a child when I ask for a pediatric speculum or mention that it hurts. Last year, I went to a new doctor, and she freaked out when I jumped once at the beginning of the procedure -- she said she won't continue and suggested I go to a children's clinic and also a psychologist. She was hinting that I had been abused, which I hadn't! I'm just a virgin, sheesh! Anyway, I found a new doctor after that, and she was wonderful! Nice and patient, and it didn't hurt at all! Unfortunately, she moved a month ago, so I'm praying that the replacement doctor will be just as nice as she!

So yeah, wanted to let you know that I totally understand what you're going thru, it's happened to me, and may happen again. Let me know if you have any questions... I've been thru this a lot and them some. I had a colposcopy due to an abnormal pap a few years ago (but I'm fine)! You'd think I'd be used to these kinds of procedures by now! But, every year is different! Some years it hurts for me, other years it doesn't at all!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-10-2006 - 2:09am

My dr thought the same thing not sure if she beleived me but when i was asked if I was raped I said no. I was never raped. my dr seamed to beleive me. No mater how much I tell her about my feeling dring the test she thinks I am normal. I think there is something wrong with me she does not. At least she is patient with me. my other dr before her was good too but insisted yearly Pap smears and still did nothing to my feelings and looking into the why.my old dr she had me take something to relax me it never worked till i got home then I would sleep and sleep. I do not take anything with this dr but my BP for my irregular periods.Thank GOd for thick walls, when I scream out what I feel during the test i feel better knowing that there is a thick wall between me and the rest of the paitents. I am sure you know what I mean. I am happy with my new dr she is so nice,but will not look into why I feel the things I do when having this test. I hope she will look into femspec Pap test for me so I can stop these painful test and become a confident woman and stop feeling like a scared kid. People I have talk to tell me if she makes you feel this way I need another dr. I do not think so. I want ever3 years for this horrible test and thats it. Any way let me give you her name and address and maybe she can help you if you live in San Diego. Carol C. Cornelius M.D. 17190 Bernardo Center Drive San Diego Ca 92129 app. phone number 858 613-8930 858 675-3130

good luck!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-10-2006 - 7:06pm

I just wanted to say something quick to the of you that say you experience a burning pain as a speculum is inserted.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-20-2006 - 11:27pm
try Femspec got to femspec.com and then ask your dr. I hope I have helped solve this horrible problem i have had the same thing except for me it every time and thank god i have had normal resalts so now its every 3 years. Just try the Femspec II have not yet but hear its better. good luck!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-21-2006 - 10:32pm
Femspec might help you. I understand your problems too mine are worse. It is the burning and ripping frling I have with this test. Dr. does not see that as un normal. See what your Dr can do for you. good luck!
Ihttp://www.femspec.com