2nd degree Cystocele

iVillage Member
2nd degree Cystocele
Sat, 01-20-2007 - 8:34pm
I am a 57 yr. old R.N. with a 2nd degree cystocele, which I have had for 29 yrs., 3 days after the birth of my son.Can anyone tell me if they have had surgery to correct this problem and what the outcome was, successful or not. Also if there is anyone out there who had any other form of treatment such as a pessary, please let me know. My Dr. tells me to live with it for 5-10 more years. It's very uncomfortable!!!

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-21-2007 - 3:15pm

Hi mom_joycet, welcome to the board.

I'm sorry, but there doesn't appear to be much in the way of info on iVillage. The only thing I saw was to try kegel exercises to help strengthen the pelvic muscles in the region. Have you ever sought another opinion in regards to treatment?

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-21-2007 - 8:54pm
Actually I have tried Kegel exercises and they really hurt my lower back. I have a history of sciatica. And besides, they are used for 1st degree cystocele primarily. Also I did seek a second opinion from my Mom's urologist when I took her for her appointment. All I had to say to him was that I had a 2nd degree cystocele that I have been living with for 29 years and he said to keep on living with it as long as I can! I'm getting to think that if they operate they can make me worse, like giving me problems that I do now not have such as incontinence, infections, sewing me up too tight, etc.!! And it's a genetics thing with me since my Mom, Grandmother, and aunts all had the same problem.I just wish there was an easy procedure that could be done like make a small incision on both sides and pull the bladder up!! Thank you for responding!
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-22-2007 - 2:19am

Hi mom_joycet,

I did a quick search, and found that estrogen therapy can sometimes help a little, as it helps the muscles in that area....

I saw a couple of university sites that mentioned surgery, and they didn't mention anything about it being difficult.

Maybe you could seek out a urogynecologist and see if they would be prepared to give you the surgery, or at least give you info on the risks, besides just telling you to put up with it as long as possible!

I also found this page on Cystocele repair:
http://www.folsomobgyn.com/cystocele_repair.htm

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-26-2007 - 8:59pm
Has anyone out there ever heard of a product called Fembrace, to be worn as a support for a cystocele? If anyone has worn it, please let me know, good or bad! Thank You!
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-17-2007 - 6:49pm
hello what does 2nd degree mean. i have rectocele and my pcp got me a referral to a surg right away. for someone to tell you to live with it is insane. no one has to live with the pain and embarassament of this type of "illness" you find someone to fix you up and make you feel better . prob a woman would help you more. let's see a man have their bladder hang out their penis !!
sorry i get so angry with Docs
Kathy
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-18-2007 - 8:31pm

Kathy: A 2nd degree cystocele is when the bladder is at the vaginal opening. My Dr. that saw me in Dec., which is by the way a woman uro-gynecologist said that I was in-operable at that time. Would take 5-10 years to fall out and become a 3rd degree cystocele. When I went back two weeks ago for a follow-up, she asked me how I was and I said I was having trouble coping with this because I feel like when I walk I have a golf ball between my legs and my bottom feels like it's on fire, terrible external burning!!! So she said, well then we can operate anytime you are ready!!! I would have laproscopic done to pull up the bladder and a total vag. hysterectomy. Right now I am wearing a V-brace that pulls everything up and using Premarin creme. I feel more comfortable but these things are just bandaids for the surgery which I just don't know if I am ready for yet. My Mom had it and came home with a catheter in for four months!!! How about you? Are you or did you have any surgery? and if you did was it successful? I am an R.N. and so very afraid of Dr.'s and hospitals!!! They say nurses and doctors make the worst patients!!! I will discuss all of this with my family Dr. next week. Joyce

hello what does 2nd degree mean. i have rectocele and my pcp got me a referral to a surg right away. for someone to tell you to live with it is insane. no one has to live with the pain and embarassament of this type of "illness" you find someone to fix you up and make you feel better . prob a woman would help you more. let's see a man have their bladder hang out their penis !!
sorry i get so angry with Docs
Kathy

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2007 - 12:35pm
i am 49 and i had a hysterectomy 3 years ago. and this bowel thing started 3 weeks ago. to have a bowel movement i have to done a rubber glove and push the bowel back in place. and press down of the perineuim (sp) so it doesn't go back into the vagina. i also had the bladder done with the hyst. they hiked it up and attached it the pubic bone. the operation was a success for me. i was bleeding to much it made me anemic and my bladder was leaking terribly. they went through the abdomen. which didn't matter to me. i was just wondering about this surgury though. i am waiting for the referral. all the other message boards say the rate is high for recurrance. . 40% i like to have some knowledge before i see the doc so i can ask the right questions and not look ingnorant.
thanks for replying
kathy
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2007 - 12:22am

hi ladies, was reading your post and wanted to let you know i was just diagnosed with mild cystocele, prolased bladder and rectum. im 37 and have a 7yr old and 8yr old. the only thing im going through is having to go pee all the time. every 20 minutes during the nite. from reading your post it sounds like you dont need to think about surgury unless your at 2nd or 3rd degree cystocele and having alot of trouble with leakage and stuff. is that the case. iv heard alot of women go through this. looking forward to your replys.

rosevillemomof2

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2007 - 12:13pm
hi there- i have rectocele the bowel not bladder and i am glad to hear i may not need surg. i just don't like having a box of gloves sitting on the floor waiting for me to need help moving my bowels. lol. i am still waiting to see the surg to see what he/she says. i still don't get the degrees you ladies are talking about. is it about protruding out of your body .??
Kathy
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2007 - 2:29pm

hi kathy, well this is knew for me. i was told i have mild cystocele, so i supose that means 1st degree. im thinking the more your bladder or rectum hang out of the place there suppost to be in. so they said you wounldn't need surgury. it sounds like they dont do surgury until 3rd degree, but im not sure. anyway talk to you soon.

rosevillemomof2

Pages