Bumps on outter labia! HELP!

iVillage Member
Bumps on outter labia! HELP!
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 5:33pm

Hello there :)

Allow me to give a brief history of my issue: 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Lichen Planus on my vulva which later spread to my behind and pretty much stayed toward the back..I still continue to have small flare ups of the Lichen Planus but nothing quite as severe as when I first was diagnosed. The medicine I was prescribed by my long time doctor was a steroid cream. I trust his decisions fully, he's an avid Dermatologist and was my Peditrician while I was growing up. I was also being seen in the Gynecologists office so I was diagnosed by both her and him. Well the steroid cream tends to thin the skin over time, so I only used it when I needed to, which in the beginning was 2-3 times a day, every day. It was a miserable condition. That slowly let up after about a year and then I used it about once a day. Now, I use it on occasion, typically around my period time.

Anyways!

I am a 22 year old female with entirely too sensitive skin and a sensitive system! About 3 days ago I noticed a tiny red spot (the size of like an ink pen dot) on the inside of my right labia majora. I noticed it while I was going to the restroom. My office buys extremely cheap toilet paper and I thought perhaps I had scratched myself down there. Well the next day I noticed it hurt worse when I touched it with toilet paper. I don't wipe, I just pat dry because I dont want to cause any tears on my already thin and sensitive skin down there. Anyways, so the day after I noticed this flesh colored/pink bump where the red dot had been. It was swollen up about the size of the top of a pencil eraser and looked distinctively circular. I also noticed it had a pit or dimple in the center. I thought "wtf?" I looked at it closer with a magnifying make-up mirror and didn't not see any puss or anything in the center. It just looked "open." I got online and googled the description and every hit came up with something called Molluscum Contagiosum. A harmless skin infection, usually saw in children and in sexually active adults. I am not sexually active. I have never had sex. I am in a very serious, monogamous relationship and my boyfriend is a virgin like myself. He assured me from the get go he had never done anything with a girl. We have however had oral sex, but we haven't went further than that. Well, the other night (before I noticed this bump on me) he gave me oral and afterwards, I noticed he had a cold sore on his lip. I initially panicked! I asked him if he knew that HSV-1 can transfer to the genitals; it's the cause of 50% of the cases of genital herpes outbreaks, but it loses it's strength when it's not in it's typical place (the mouth.) He said no, he had no idea. Well then I developed this bump. I already had an appointment scheduled for some red itchy bumps on the back of my hand with a good skin doctor, not my dermatologist, but a really good doctor who specializes in skin also. On a side note, this doctor diagnosed me with Tineaversi Color (harmless) on my chest 3 years ago, the same year I developed Lichen Planus (which is not contagious!) So I know he's good with skin! The bumps cleared up on my hand before my appointment time but I went ahead and went to the appointment yesterday and asked him to take a look at my girly parts to see what he thought this bump might be. I assured him I had never had intercourse and he examined me. He said it was not herpes, it was not Molluscum Contagiosum and it was not harmful. I simply had a small infection, something like an infected hair follicle. He prescribed me Bactroban, an anti-bacterial cream to apply to the bump 3 times a day. I used it this morning and this afternoon at lunch time. At lunch time I noticed I now have a second bump, right above the first one, smaller and it looks the exact same! I called the clinic and the doctor said to use the prescribed cream on this bump also and if I develope any more bumps to come back in! He never said what kind of infection it was but that it WAS harmless and nothing to be worried about. He told me I have very sensitive skin! These bumps in question don't itch and don't just hurt as is, but if I touch them they hurt like I'm ripping off a bandaid and then itch for a second & sometimes, rarely, I'll feel a stabbing twinge of pain in them but that is all. They do not ooze anything. It appears that maybe the first one has gotten a tad bigger, but I could just be imagining that because I hate having so many skin problems. My dermatologist said when a person has a skin disorder, they are very likely to have multiple skin issues throughout their lives. I called my dermatologist today and I am supposed to call tomorrow to do a walk-in appointment with him!

I know this was incredibly long but if anyone has had anything similar or any advice whatsoever, that'd be awesome! I have switched to organic feminine products, I do not use soap to clean down below just warm water in the shower and whatever soap residue gets there when I use bodywash on the rest of my body. I am working on going to an all-organic diet because my system and skin are SO SO sensitive! I have a laundry list of other skin issues I could tell you about but i'll save those for another post. lol. I let my boyfriend know about this bump and he assured me again, I am his only!

Also, I have a small sore in my mouth, on my bottom gums, if perhaps that has any correlation to the bumps on my va-jay-jay! :( ALSO, the cream I've been using for 3 years on my Lichen Planus says warning: may cause folliculitis if prolonged use occurs. Well..folliculits just to happens to be infected hair follicles. The first bump has a hair in the middle of it, but it's not a new hair. It's also kind of strange because on the inside of the labia, there's like NO hair there. The doctor said women have so many oil glands down there, it could be a blocked oil gland! I want a second opinion from my dermatologist just to be sure I'm using a good cream and that my other cream won't hace any interactions with the new one!

Thanks to everyone who reads and replies!!!! I sooo appreciate it!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 3:48pm
I think a second opinion is a good idea, maybe with a GYN this time instead of a dermatologist.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-02-2010 - 12:52am

Hi there,

What you're describing could be a Bartholin's cyst when one of those glands gets blocked. You should see a gyn, and make sure that's what's causing it.

Alisa

Alisa

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 12:22pm

Hey ladies;

Today I went to see my dermatologist and to my surprise, the first doctor I saw had put in a referral for me to be seen in Dermatology and my Dermatologist re-routed it to Gynecology for me! He said he believes they are tiny cysts, he gave the proper name but I cannot remember it now that I am home. I should have wrote it down. I do NOT believe he said Bartholin cyst though! It was something else! Anyways; in 2-3 days I should get a call from Gyn to set-up an appointment, at which time my Mom is going to go with me because he said they might lance them or drain them or try to remove them? WTFFFFF! Anyways, ladies! I will refer back to this post and let you all know! :)
Thanks for all of your input and advice! :] I love these boards!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 10:57am

I called my dermatologist and he wants to re-examine me on Friday! :[ My legs are hurting sooo bad. I stayed home from work today cause my legs are just hurting so bad and my lymph nodes in my groin area are swollen! I also noticed this morning the red area near my butt now has 4 tiny fluid-filled bumps & 1 bigger, but small, fluid-filled bump!! I have no burning when I pee but I have had a white discharge about every other day!

Worried/sick/feeling terrible.

Does this sound like HSV1?

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 11:47am

I called in and made a regular appointment today with a female doctor! She said I have herpes :( I bawled at the clinic but my Momma went with me and she was surprisingly not mad. I am pretty tired today so I am staying home from work again. My boyfriend is pretty upset too but assures me he and I are in this together - he's so great! He loves me very much and I'm very lucky to have him despite this infection. They took a viral culture and took blood to confirm that it is herpes and I will get those results in 2 days...so probably Monday, hopefully tomorrow though! I'm bummed, depressed, not really sure how I feel right now. She had to pop the blister to take the sample; she said it would hurt but it didn't really hurt so thank God for that! I feel like taking a shower; curling up on the couch with my blanket and watching my favorite television show! I hope my boyfriend will come over tonight! My Mom is taking me to the GYN appt next month to get on birth control so when me and my boyfriend are responsible and ready; we don't have to worry about getting pregnant before we're ready!

Any advice girls? If it is type 1 - how often should I expect recurrences? Type 1 is said to not recur very often and my doctor said flare ups occur during times of stress!

Thanks for reading girls!