Magazines...

iVillage Member
Magazines...
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 11:48am

Does your gynecologist's office have magazines in the waiting room?  What about in the examination rooms?

Do you bring your own magazines/books to read while you're waiting?

What about children?  Are there magazines or childrens books that are appropriate for them to look at while they're waiting for you/their mothers?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cmamyd
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 12:58pm

I don't have an OB/GYN any more, I have a family practitioner. And she does have magazines in her office but they are, oddly enough, either sports-related or pharmaceutically related. Since I don't find them interesting, and since I tend to forget to bring something to read, I just sit and stare at the wall!

She does have kids books in teh waiting room, as well as a play table to entertain them..

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 1:48pm
I guess the men and the athletically or medically inclined are happy with the choices.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 4:50pm
No OB/GYN for me, but in my primary caregiver's clinic there are magazines (I don't bring my own) and a play area for children, with books.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 6:37pm
No ob/gyn. Our family practitioner keeps a
good assortment of magazines in the waiting
and examination rooms both for adults and kids.
I encourage my daughter to bring a book.

font-size: 14pt;">Susan

Photobucket
Photobucket

dietbudspowinners.gif

PhotobucketlifeispainPhotobucket

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

font-size: 12pt;">
organic tag created by Erin
(Wickedcupofjoe)
PhotobucketPhotobucketinvisible-yellow-cap

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 9:16pm

Does your gynecologist's office have magazines in the waiting room? What about in the examination rooms? ~ Yes for the waiting room, not for the examination room since there's no waiting once you are in the office. You go in, see her briefly, go to the next room for the exam, come back to her office again for a talk. It's one big room divided by some wall.

Do you bring your own magazines/books to read while you're waiting? ~ Yes. I also have audiobook in the iPod.

What about children? Are there magazines or childrens books that are appropriate for them to look at while they're waiting for you/their mothers? ~ I think so, yes.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 9:44am
Do you find, like with my own DD, that when she does bring a book she's still more interested in the magazines at the doctor's office than in the book she brought?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 9:45am
No waiting once you're in the exam room... that must be really nice!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 7:32pm

I love magazines. I always bring a pen to copy down
a new recipe or shopping source.

My daughter is usually in the middle of a novel, so
she tends to bring those. We see Highlights for
Children a lot, and of course she is always fascinated
with whatever I'm trying to read. At the dentist's
office last time, it was a Pacific Northwest travel
magazine.

font-size: 14pt;">Susan

Photobucket
Photobucket

dietbudspowinners.gif

PhotobucketlifeispainPhotobucket

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

font-size: 12pt;">
organic tag created by Erin
(Wickedcupofjoe)
PhotobucketPhotobucketinvisible-yellow-cap

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:35am
Sounds like my daughter!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 3:04pm
Like many of the other respondents, I go to my GP and not to a gynecologist. The clinic where I go has a good assortment of magazines in the waiting room and used to have plenty in the exam rooms as well, but the last few times I've been there I noticed a dearth of reading material in the exam rooms unless you're interested in pamphlets on various health conditions. There is an ample selection of childrens' magazines and books in the waiting area and usually a couple of choices for kids in the exam rooms too.

As far as bringing my own reading material, I always carry plenty of diversions: a Palm handheld with plenty of games on it, an iPod for listening to music and podcasts, my cell phone (for text messaging, not talking on in the waiting room), and a Kindle which currently has 10 books loaded on it. I'm never bored, lol.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

Pages