10-day period: Scared, please respond!

iVillage Member
10-day period: Scared, please respond!
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 8:18pm

Hello board,

First of all, let me say that I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, but I wanted to get on here and see if any can relate--I've always found such SMART women on these boards!  I am on day 10 of my period.  The last day or so, there has been some clotting as well as the color of the blood has changed a bit--the clots are dark, but I will also get a brighter, "fresher" looking blood as well.  It's slowed down a little, but has now kicked back up.  Here are the facts:

*I'm 45; no childbirths; always been regular about every 28 days.  I've been keeping track, and the last few months my periods have come 21 days apart, 23 days apart, and this last one was 33 days from start of my last one to start of this one. 

Have had ONE abnormal pap smear--last year.  They did further testing on my cells and gave me the "all clear."  They tell me it happens all the time, and I guess I have to assume that Rockwood Clinic knows what they are doing. 

Questions:  Have any of you had an abnormal pap that turned out to be nothing?  Is this really that common?  Have any of you experienced the longer period or have some ideas as to what it could be?  Also, could this be perimenopause?  Up until December 2009 I was perfectly regular.  I'm not on birth control, by the way. 

Please, someone give me some feedback.  I tend to FREAK out about these things BIGTIME.  Thank you, gals.

~Leisa

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 1:00pm

Hi Leisa,

I'm glad you had an appointment with your doctor.