To small to have a baby?

iVillage Member
To small to have a baby?
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 10:20am

Hi,

Iam 22 and not wanting to have a baby at the moment,however later in life of course I would love to. But my concern (and my bf's concern) is am I to small to safely carry a child? Im 4'9" and like 75lbs.And in good health. But Iam soooo tiny I just don't see how there would be any room in there for a baby.Even a small baby. I asked my dr once if I would safely be able to have a baby and he said aslong as it isn't bigger than 5 or 6 lbs. Would my body adapt and not allow the baby to get large once im pregnant? Like would my body know there isn't that much room?lol And what would happen once I became like 7 months pregnant? How would I walk or do anything? I've heard woman that are small like me have c-sections but I don't want a scar.However I doubt a baby would be able to fit down below,my pelvis is sooo small,I have almost no hips lol. I know a girl whos literally the same size Iam in height and weight however she has wider hips.She had a child.She didn't get very big though and hardly gained any weight. I do really want a child one day and Iam just wondering how it would all work given my size.The last thing I'd want is to become pregnant and then be faced with a high risk pregnancy and face all sorts of problems.

Any thoughts?

Hollie

Hollie

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 10:40am

I assure you that smaller women have had babies successfully.

What you need to understand, though, is that if a c/section is necessary in order to have the baby safely, then obviously it's something that a woman shouldn't refuse.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 4:02pm

Small women have babies vaginally all the time. I know quite a few women under 5 feet that had normal sized full term babies vaginally without trouble.

I do believe that your body will grow a baby that is appropriate for your size given that you eat a healthy diet low in refined carbs. My babies were both pretty small as I am not very tall and very short waisted.

If you did require a cesarean, as 1/3 of all women do have their babies by cesarean now, the scar is the most minimal of worries. The scar is usually in the pubic hair, is only about 4 inches long and heals to the point where you can barely see it even up close.

I don't think size alone would label a woman high risk. Staying healthy, active and eating right will help you feel comfortable during the last couple months of pregnancy. I was riding my bike and hiking 10 days past my due date and was quite comfortable with my last pregnancy.