Birth Control and Spotting

iVillage Member
Birth Control and Spotting
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 2:16pm

Good morning. I have been on Ortho Tri-Cylin Lo for about 5 years and have liked it. Before I started BC my periods were extremely irregular and I spotted a lot. Immediately upong starting birth control my period became trackable and I knew exactly what day it would start with no spotting during the month (literally with the first cycle of bc). Last summer I switched the first day of my cycle from Sunday to Tuesday (no particular reason just forgot to start it on a Sunday and Tuesday stuck ever since). Since then I have been spotting about twice a cycle and can't track it at all. The blood is irregular (brownish, sorry if TMI) but similar to what I had before BC. Can changing the start date really affect the cycle that much? Has anyone experienced this? Does the spotting subside or is it time to try a new BC? I am frustrated because the biggest thing I liked about bc was being completely regular, now not so much!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 10:10am
Ive been on bc for like 7 yrs now,the smallest change like a start date can mess things up.Its just your body adjusting to you changing when you start your pack.I don't know for sure if your body will fully adjust with the new start.Your body was used to sunday and you now moved it ahead by 2 days.Your period obviously will become different as far as when it starts,it now should arrive 2 days later than it did before.But it may be messed up for a while.If it bothers you that much go back to sunday.Your body should naturally revert back to that and your period should arrive on time. It may be messed up the first month though.I start on sudays too,and I forgot to buy a pack on the sunday and monday happened to be a holiday so I couldn't start until tues.I had the same issue you did for that month,but the next month I went back to sunday and everthing returned to normal.

Hollie

Hollie