Recurring yeast infection?

iVillage Member
Recurring yeast infection?
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 7:27am

Hi everyone. I apologize in advance for being so verbose!

I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice/insight about my situation. So I am currently suffering from a recurring yeast infection, like clockwork it is my third in the past three months.

Up until a little over three months ago, I had been sexually inactive my entire life. (I finally met the right person!) I had also NEVER had any kind of gynecological issues at all. After fooling around with my new boyfriend a bit, after two weeks of this I developed a yeast infection. I went to the doctor's, and she diagnosed me with a YI and gave me Diflucan.

Almost exactly a month later, after having started having intercourse and starting the pill, another one popped up. My doctor believed that it was because of my body adjusting to the pill. However, I was on the pill for several years in highschool for acne, and I never had ANY issues. This time, I tried using Monistat, had a TERRIBLE reaction, so I cannot use any OTC methods and have to go to the doctor's each time for the prescription. (I even tried using plain yogurt, and although it feels good on my vulva, if I try to put it in my vagina it BURNS!! I have never read anything about this kind of reaction to plain yogurt anywhere else.)

And now, right on time, four weeks later I believe I have yet another yeast infection, even though I have overloaded my diet with nonfat yogurt and have started taking acidophilus supplements as a preventative measure.

I'm so worried that this will continue to be an issue as long as I'm sexually active (or worse, forever) -- and to make matters worse, in a couple months my temporary position will end, and I will no longer have health insurance (unless I find another job, which hopefully I will). I don't know what I'm going to do about my yeast infections without health insurance, because Diflucan seems to be the only effective method/the only method that doesn't result in even worse burning symptoms. (I know there are other holistic methods, but I'm wary about putting garlic up there if yogurt irritated it.)

So I'm worried that my best solution is to just go back to being celibate -- and I really don't want to break it off with this wonderful man but I will if I have to for my health. Should I just return to my peaceful healthy single life? Or is this something that a lot of women just deal with?

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 2:05pm

Some women are prone to recurrent yeast infections, some women find that they are even allergic to the semen of their partners or if they are using condoms that they may have an allergy to the latex and need to use a non-latex condom.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-06-2010 - 7:22pm

Has your partner also seen a doctor? He probably needs to be treated as well as on the probiotics. Also are you washing your underwear and sheets in very hot water and a hot dryer? You can also put grapefruit seed extract in the wash or take it internally, it is extremely good at killing yeast. I find other probiotic containing fermented foods, other than yogurt, to be more helpful. Things like kimchi, kefir, kombucha, fermented veggies. You might check out the Body Ecology Diet.

Jeska

Photobucket
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 9:44am

A full evaluation is certainly in order. You may have sensitivity to the condoms (hopefully you are using them) or if you re not to semen. Also watch out for lubricants. Some people are allergic to them.

As I got older I started getting them monthly after my period (hormonal changes) but I've made a few adjustments and they've stopped.

1. Do not use soap to wash between the labia (my gyno's advice) just plain warm water

2. Wash underwear and towels in hot cycle (preferably in a HE machine) with a perfume free detergent (Seventh Generation) and dry in a hot dryer. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets.

3. Eat plain yogurt every day and cut down on refined sugars and grains.

4. What made a huge difference for me was the DivaCup. When