Missed period

iVillage Member
Missed period
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 7:23pm

I have been taking an oral birth control pill since I was 17 (I'm currently 25). My boyfriend and I also consistently use condoms because we REALLY don't need a kid right now.

I have been under crazy stress lately at work and have been also stressed at home due to a death in the family and the sudden necessity to move from a large house to a smaller condo due to the death. I have been getting much less sleep than I am used to for the past month. I have been sick twice in the past month. I have been on antibiotics twice and very heavy cough syrup both times.

I had a full, regular period in mid-May. Then had a light spotty period at the start of June. I was due for my regular period 2 weeks ago. It never came. I am now starting to worry that I could be pregnant, but I really do not see how since we use 2 forms of contraception and have not had any mishaps.

I am hoping this is all due to the stress and lack of sleep, but have never really had this problem. Can someone please help with advice or past experiences? Thank you so much!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 2:54pm
Stress can effect some women's menstrual cycle and antibiotics can interfere with the effectiveness of the birth control pill.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-06-2010 - 10:26pm
There are other reasons for a missed period other than pregnancy. See a doctor.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 11:46am

The simplest and quickest way is to take a home pregnancy test asap and to schedule a visit with your GP or ob-gyn regardless of the pregnancy test results.

Please don't delay. If stress is the cause, then the doctor can help you through this and ensure that you get your good health back. If there's another cause, they'll hopefully be able to pinpoint it quickly. And in the case that you are pregnant, you would want to know quickly, too.

Good luck!