My Belly Button is ALIVE!

iVillage Member
My Belly Button is ALIVE!
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 1:53pm
Hey there!
  I just got back from surgery last week. (I've has PCOS for over 10 years, but this time they had to remove my right ovary due to some suspcious masses, unrelated to PCOS - Ovarian cancer concerns.)
  The great thing is that everything looks benign on first blush. I'll get the officially path in a couple weeks to confirm, but it was such a relief!
  So now I'm on the road to recovery from my first surgery EVER. They did it outpatient (laparascopic) oopherectomy w/ a hysteroscopy (diagnostic). Most of my wounds are closed w/ Dermabond and 1 stitch. I have two incisions in my lower belly which appear to be healing well. I have at least 3 stitches/incisions in the belly button. The belly button is pratically filled w/ what I'm assuming is dermabond (looks kinda whitish).
  Well, I work up this morning and the dermabond around my belly button had some weird oozey stuff going on. Sticky brown stuff oozed through my shirt (I sleep on my back, so this is weird) even! I took a shower and dabbed it dry w/ a towel. Some of the dermabond seems to be holding fast over the wounds. I'm not sure if it's that stuff in my belly button oozing out or what, but it spooked me a bit! I can't find anything on line about dermabond dissolving that way. Most folks seem to peel it off.
  Any thoughts? Thanks!  

- TronGal
 (Singer/songwriter/contributing author for

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 2:39pm

it could be old blood. is the area around your belly button at all inflamed looking or tender? it sounds like the goo that i've seen come out of slightly infected piercings, or piercings that aren't healed all the way that i've put cheap jewelry into (i'm allergic to some metals). when i have an allergic reaction like that, it just oozes a bit and itches.

i may well be wrong, but that's what it makes me think of.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 3:55pm
Give your doctor a call to discuss this.