FIBROIDS: Just diagnosed

iVillage Member
FIBROIDS: Just diagnosed
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 8:40pm

Hello group,

I've recently been diagnosed with fibroids.  I'm 45, and I know that once I begin menopause, they will go away.  HOWEVER, there is no sign of my hormones changing yet, so it could be a while.  A few questions for those of you who know more about fibroids than me: 

1.)  Typically, I hear that women bleed MORE often with fibroids (cycles closer together).  I had one 24-day bleed which sent me to get this checked out and diagnosed.  Since then, my cycle has been going about 10 days longer than usual.  Normally, I'm every 28 days from start to start; now I'm about 38 days in between.  Have any of you experienced this? 

2.)  Have any of you had an ablation for fibroids?  I BELIEVE my gyno. told me that ablation is not an option with fibroids--I will need a hysterectomy if I want this to go away.  I was on information overload during my appointment, so I can't remember what he said! 

Thanks for any wisdom you can share.  I've ALWAYS been so "regular," but since December, it's been all screwed up.  I've been thoroughly checked out for other serious issues, but it comes back to "just" fibroids. 

~leisa

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 4:47pm

I had a fibriod that was removed via a myomectomy a little over 2 years ago.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 1:45pm

Hi,

I was recently in the last several weeks diagnosed with fibroids as well.

Myspace Codes

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2010 - 12:53pm

Hi there...

I have a hx of both uterine fibroids and polyps, both of which had been removed via hysteroscopy with D&C.
Yes, women with fibroids do experience more bleeding than those without.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket