Continuous Bleeding

iVillage Member
Continuous Bleeding
Sun, 07-25-2010 - 1:29pm

Hi, I was on BC for years b/c when I initially started I had heavy periods with bad cramping and heavy bleeding. Last year, after I lost my job, I ran out of BC and never went back on them b/c of not having health insurance. I prefer not to be on them anyway as I will probably start to TTC next year.
So far, my periods have been normal (haven't been for annual exam since 2008) and not nearly as bad as they used to be w/o BC. This cycle, however, is weird. I started last Thurs. and I still have slight light red spotting. I don't have heavy cramping or pain - just the spotting and slight cramping. But, I'm concerned. I also wondered if it has to do with the medication I'm taking for a sinus infection - amoxycillin and mucinex. Just wondering if they were related, but I am not sure why the bleeding won't stop. Should I be concerned?

p.s. I finally got a job and just became eligible for an insurance stipend but I haven't selected a carrier yet. Shopping around for the best deal.

TIA,
prada

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 12:07pm

How long do you normally bleed during your cycle?

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 12:28pm

It's better today and tapering off and not as red. It wasn't blood red, more like the color of red hard candy if that's even a good description, but enough that it was still like having a light cycle. Usually at the end of my cycle it turns that brown/old blood color. It is now turning more brownish so hopefully it will stop soon.
I wondered about the antibiotics b/c the nurse practitioner told me to eat more yogurt with it to avoid a yeast infection. I usually eat yogurt everyday anyhow.

Thx,
prada

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 5:42pm
Forgot to mention that I normally bleed about 3-4 days then it starts to taper off considerably. It's just never been this persistent light red color before. And my boobs stayed "plumper" longer this time, too. They usually get like that the week before then "deflate", LOL. They're still quite perky. And ZERO possibility of being PG, just FYI.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 9:55am

Every once in a while I have a period that is just a bit *different* than normal... longer, shorter, heavier, lighter, whatever it is it's just different than what is the usual for me.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 5:11pm
Hi, I have been having this same issue right now. I am waiting to hear back from my doctor. I have been on my period since the 17th. I hope everything is okay with you.