This is so embarrassing.

iVillage Member
This is so embarrassing.
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 12:41am

But, I haven't had a period in almost eight months. This isn't abnormal for me since I usually go long periods of time without a menstrual cycle. It was on and off all year during the 08' - 09' year of college. The last time I remember having it was the end of December last year at the end of the school semester. I don't have the money to go to the doctor since I'm a dull time student, unemployed and am currently paying off a gall bladder surgery I had in November. So if anyone could give me some advice, I'd love that.

I doubt that I could do to the doctor even if I could, because I'm always very afraid that something serious WILL be wrong, so I'd rather just deny everything. That and this is a very embarrassing problem and I'm extremely shy. XD

I'm not sexually active, in fact, I've never had a boyfriend...so there isn't a problem there.

Edited 7/29/2010 12:45 am ET by wolfsong442
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 7:48am

Not sure where you are from, but look into clinics that offer services with or without insurance. We have an amazing Nurse practitioner in our town and its only $40 a visit. You pay her whatever you can upfront then make arrangements for the rest. Im sure there is something

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 2:10pm

Hello -

there is nothing to be embarrassed about anymore than you'd have need of being embarrassed about gallbladder trouble; our menstrual cycles are natural parts of us!

So many things bear on our cycles. If you are significantly underweight or overweight, if you are diabetic, and a million other things. Call your local health department and ask for an appointment with their family planning or reproductive health section. You'll be able to see

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 3:26pm

What you've got is called amenorrhea (absence of menstruation) and is a symptom of any other number of things, like stress, underweight, too much exercise (Olympic gymnasts are known for this characteristic), hormone imbalance, thyroid not functioning properly (this little sucker rules everything!), etc.

Read this and then see about going to a clinic like has been suggested.

Myspace Codes

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 3:48pm
Thank you guys for responding. I'm still not sure what I want to do, basically because of the whole denying it thing and I'm going back to school in a couple weeks and don't want to have to worry about something like this so soon after getting my gall bladder taken out. I don't know how to find a low priced clinic, either. Thank you.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 3:11pm

Try a Planned Parenthood type of clinic.