Ovarian teratoma

iVillage Member
Ovarian teratoma
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 2:05pm

Hello -

I was just diagnosed with an ovarian cyst called a benign cystic teratoma; apparently a teratoma is made up of leftover cells from when you were a developing fetus; later in life, they develop into these gross tumors that can include hair, bone and teeth (I know; bizarre. I actually had one of these removed from the inside of my skull when I was just two years old).

Doc says that while my cyst is unlikely to be cancerous, it must come out for two reasons: one, that until its sent to pathology one can never be SURE it isn't ovarian cancer, and two, the weight of the cyst can make the ovary droop and twist on its stalk, which creates all kinds of problems and can be a serious medical emergency.

So, she recommends having the ovary removed sometime during the next few months; I'm 39 and have already had my child, so fertility isn't an issue, and the little bit of research I've done supports that course of treatment. Funny, when I left the doc's office this morning I took it in stride and was feeling all 'no big deal...' but now I feel a little freaked out.

Doc says the loss of one ovary won't cause any side effects; is this true? Has anyone experienced having to have an ovary removed?

thanks in advance for your thoughts!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 9:54am

Definitely get that 2nd opinion, especially given your discomfort with Dr. #1.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 8:16am

Thanks for your kind and encouraging response! My doc said that would have no effect, but I realized that I don't fully trust her on that because of some other things she has said that I've found not to be true (e.g., birth control pills don't affect your libido...).

She is comfortable waiting a couple of months, so I would like to have it done in the late fall. My husband is worried about it and would really like for me to have it done right away instead; so I think what I'm going to do, before I do anything else, is get a second opinion from a doc I trust, and go from there. If nothing else, it will reassure DH and also buy me some time to have it done more on my timeline without him worrying. :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 4:40pm

I don't personally have the experience of having lost one ovary, but I do know women who have and have had no adverse side effects or even problems with fertility after having one of their ovaries removed.

I hope everything goes well for you.