Miscarriage?

iVillage Member
Miscarriage?
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 4:26pm

I'm in my mid twenties. I have a family history of PCOS and I was diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa at age 11. I didn't get my first period until I was 14 and I became anemic when I was 17. I started passing out and throwing up from servere cramps and high fevers during the first day of my period around that time. For over a year my periods have not lasted for more than 2-3 days.

Last month my period was late by about 2 weeks. When I did get it, it lasted about 5 days and that includes spotting a day or two after. I was worried I might have been pregnant when it was late but I didn't take a pregnancy test. I cramped every day of my period which is unusual for me. I spotted heavily for a day a week after my period and after having intercourse.

16 days after my period I started spotting for 3 days straight. I then got what appeared to be a normal period then spotting again for two days and then a very heavy flow for the past 3 days. In total it has been 12 days and counting.

I believe this is a miscarriage with just about every fiber of my being. But I don't know and this has never happened to me before, I wasn't trying to get pregnant but with PCOS and Anorexia you try to avoid taking birth control pills because it lessens the chance of getting pregnant when you do decide to. And because my boyfriend and I have been together for 6 years and want to get married and have children some day I want to not lesson those chances.

None of the websites I've visited discuss what you really go through with a miscarriage, they discuss different types of miscarrages and talk like every person who has a miscarriage is trying to get pregnant which isn't the case and its just discouraging. Any insight would be so helpful.

iVillage Member
In reply to: irremediable
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 12:01pm

Honestly, like no two women and no two pregnancies are the same, I think it's the same with miscarriages.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 9:00am
In your situation I would probably believe that it was a miscarriage. I have PCOS and have had a m/c at 6wks. Women experience miscarriages in so many ways there isn't a way to describe how it happens for everyone. The late period, abnormal bleeding and spotting would probably lead me to believe it was. If it happens again with the next cycle though or if you continue to have really abnormal bleeding for 2 more weeks it could be hormonal issues that can be checked out with your dr via blood tests or an ultrasound to make sure there isn't anything in the uterus. I would take a pregnancy test now too to make sure you're not pg and having a pregnancy complication.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 9:20pm
You can take a pregnancy test if you think you might be having a m/c b/c the pregnancy hormones would still be there. But since you had this last month I don't know if it would show up at this point. I've had 4 m/c's. All four of mine were different so there is not really one specific way you might miscarry. Part of it depends on how far along you were. The further you are, the cramps are much more painful and the bleeding is worse. I would recommend that you see your Dr. just to make sure everything has passed. If not, you may need a D&C. He/She may still be able to determine if you were pregnant w/ a blood test. Best of luck.