Hypothyroidism and Getting Pregnant

iVillage Member
Hypothyroidism and Getting Pregnant
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 9:47am

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the last 4-6 months., but have yet to.  I'm almost positive it's because of my thyroid being underactive, but wanted to get someone's oppinion.  I immediately got pregnant with my oldest (4yrs old).  My pregnancy was perfect (other than the horrible "morning sickness") and I was induced to have him a week after my due date.  But then at 9mo old I quit breast feeding and had my first postpregnancy period.  I became pregnant following that, but miscarried later at about 9-12weeks(not completely positive on how far along I was).  I soon after started trying to conceive again, but with no luck.  I then was told by a friend I needed my thyroid checked.  I went to the doctor and had the bloodwork done.  When the results came in sure enough I had underactive thyroid.  So I was then told that that was the cause of my previous miscarriage and my continued infertility.  I was perscribed synthroid and in less than a month became pregnant again.  I gave birth to my youngest (21 mo old)9 mo later.  After the birth and 6 mo of breast feeding I started my regular period, but they were not like my normal cycles.  I had went from 35 day cycles to almost 50 day cycles.  My last cycle was 37 days, but I have yet to be able to get pregnant and am on my synthroid.  I'm not sure if maybe I need to be uped or if it's something more serious.  Does anyone have any info or advice?

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 2:12am

Is your doctor regularly doing blood tests on you? Some doctors only do a TSH test, but they can get the best idea of what's going on if they're also looking at T3 and T4 levels. Sometimes medication does need to be adjusted, and some people don't do well on Synthroid. There is also T3 available if your body isn't converting the T4 in Synthroid to T3, and some people do better on something like Armour Thyroid that is a natural mix of T3 and T4.

Also, how are you feeling? One indication that your dose might need to be adjusted is if you're having classic signs of hypothyroidism like feeling cold or being tired.

Do you know if you're ovulating? One thing that can help if reading the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and charting your cycles. That can give you extra information about whether or not you're actually ovulating, and when you're most fertile.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 2:32pm

While the thyroid is definitely a factor in fertility issues, it may or may not have been the cause of the miscarriage.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 4:37pm

It sounds like it might be time to have your blood drawn & tested again to determine if your thyroid levels are where they need to be or if they need to be adjusted.