Abnormal pap, waiting for test

iVillage Member
Abnormal pap, waiting for test
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 12:38pm

Hello all

be warned this likely contains TMI!  Of the personal kind! 

Had abnormal cells in regularly scheduled Pap in January.  At the time I had begun to have a TERRIBLE odor.  Dr.  said she would run extra tests which I really thought would show a bacterial infection/imbalance.  But no...just the abnormal cells. 

Pap redone in June, again had abnormal cells.  I am now waiting for the appt to test tissue (can't remember what it is called, but you know what I mean, the one where they rip out a piece of you and tell you it might be a 'little uncomfortable' lol)

Anyway, had that done about 15 years ago, and nothing came of it, but this time I am a bit  more concerned

The odor has remained although not nearly as bad as when it began in January#  I have made the switch to pretty much only wearing cotton undies, as that seems to help, actually, truth is, none at all is best by far.  Makes me feel a little trashy, but since I'm a SAHM, I'm not out flashing people!

I have come back to ivillage after many years gone because I'd like some reassurance I suppose  I have not goggled this since the odor in January because of what I read then, a bacterial infection/imbalance was by far the best outcome, (and that's not the problem) now two bad paps have me a little afraid. I am hoping someone here will have a personal experience, or a suggestion to help the odor, perhaps it is unrelated, an age thing, a perimenopausal thing? 

I am 39, in a committed relationship, no chance of STD, and...how can I say this?  Clean, but not obsessively, despite smell, one thing I did read in January was to let my body work for itself, and not to use too much in the way of soaps or deodorants down there.  oh and I have tried eating yogurt, not a big fan of the stuff, so it was difficult to make myself eat it everyday without really knowing if it would help, but if someone tells me it will, I am off tothe grocer for more! 

I'm such a sharer!  TMI?  Oh well, hope someone will have some thoughts

TIA

Dee            

The next rock in your path might be a stepping stone

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 8:32pm

Hi, Dee. You've been waiting since June to get a
biopsy done? What is the holdup?

I've had abnormal paps before but never two in a
row. Yeast infection, Urinary Tract Infection and
ovarian cyst were the causes.

I wouldn't push the yogurt at this point. Its
main benefit seems to be keeping antibiotics from
causing a yeast infection.

I hope you can get that biopsy soon and find out
what is really going on.

Glad you checked in.

font-size: 14pt;">Susan

Photobucket
Photobucket

dietbudspowinners.gif

PhotobucketlifeispainPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

font-size: 12pt;">
organic tag created by Erin
(Wickedcupofjoe)
PhotobucketPhotobucketinvisible-yellow-cap

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-28-2010 - 10:17pm

Thanks for the response.

The actual timeline on this wait is like this...June 30-pap done, call from nurse to set up follow-up, first week of August as it takes them 4 weeks to process pap test. Appt set up for August 12 for discussion, then Dr sent request for biopsy to another clinic.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 6:57pm

Hi Dee,

Since cranberries help with the bacteria that causes UTI, I am wondering whether it would also help with the bacteria that causes BV? If you do decide to try this, do read the labels on the bottle of the cranberry juice to see what it's made of. There are also cranberry pills that you can take.

Keeping pubic hair trimmed, wearing clothes that aren't tight in addition to cotton panties might also help.

Community Leader
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 10:22pm

Hi Dee!

Just curious what your method of birth control is.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 11:37am

Probiotics in pills?