Low temperature upon waking less 97.1 F

iVillage Member
Low temperature upon waking less 97.1 F
Sun, 11-14-2004 - 10:13pm
I read somewhere this past week that a low body temp of less than 97.1 (taken first thing after waking in the morning, before rising, and with as little movement as possible before taking your temp) indicates or may indicate underactive thyroid. Is this true for any of you, and have any of you heard of this theory.

I saw my Doc on Thurs and FINALLY he actually took the time to listen. I told him ALL the symtpoms (as I mentioned in my previous messsage) and also mentioned to him that I thought that this might be hypo.

He still believes that my biggest challenges (fatigue, focus/memory, weight/loss libido) are due to the Fibromyalgia... which by the way I have read increases the RISK of having hypo... I've been dx'd with fibro for 12 years now.

Anyhow, to make a long story short... my level (TSH) about 6 mos ago was 3.8, which my doc said was within normal. I talked him into doing more bloodwork this past week. So, he did a full workup.. TSH, Iron levels, cholestoral (I have High BP), and a couple of others.. He should have the results back by Tuesday, and I am VERY anxious to see that TSH level... and also plan to discuss MY MORNING TEMPS which have been 95.5, 96.3, 94.4 just today... all of which are well below the 97.1.

Sigh.. so whad ya think?

Love to y'all.. Marley! :O)

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2004 - 8:17am

I was dx'd hyper/Graves.

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2004 - 9:59pm
Hi Marley - somehow I missed this last week. It sounds hypo to me. And the new range for lab tests on TSH is .3 to 3.0 so you are actually over the top normal limit. That and all of your symptoms might prompt your doctor to put you on a low dose of thyroid meds to see how you do. Try suggesting that, sometimes a doctor will agree. It's so good to see you here again! Hugs, Cathy :)
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-22-2004 - 7:19pm

Thanks Cathy!

I am SO sure its hypo. BUT... my doc is not too helpful when it comes to these things. I am going back to him on Thursday for a follow up on the "new" tests. I havent had a check since about 6 months. I am VERY interested to know what the TSH level is. I cant wait till Thursday. So, low body temp IS a symptom?

In the meantime I DO have a back up plan. Someone mentioned here last week that your OB/GYN is a good route to take. That they may be more sympathetic to the "hormone" side of things. I thought that this was a great idea. I havent seen my gyn in about 2 years, but he is someone that had known me for 15 years now, and I found that he is actually ON the "good doctor" list here in Ontario, Canada. Its Dr. Alvin Pettle. He has since turned to holistic medicine, but I am sure he can help if my family doctor cant. The trouble is though, getting to see him. He books months in advance and he is one hour away from where I live now. Nonetheless I have to get some answers and this might be the solution.

I'll keep checking with you all. I sure hope I find some answers soon, I am SO tired and SO frustrated.

HOpe all is well with everyone. Thanks for posting Cathy, its great to be back,. I could really use some support right now.

Love, Marley