gerd related to thyroid?

iVillage Member
gerd related to thyroid?
Sun, 01-10-2010 - 7:30am
Hi all,
For the past year I suffered with a cough - a tickly cough only at night.It progressed to major voice problems and I was diagnosed with GERD even though I have NOT suffered from heartburn etc.I have had a gastroscopy a 24 hour ph study,a manometry test and all were normal.Medication for GERD has made no difference.I have a horrible metallic tast in my mouth and a feeling of fluid coming into my throat,my periods have stopped - abruptly - although I am 51 years of age.My hair looks thin and lifeless and I feel awful.My 'spark' has gone and feel that I am not getting anywhere with the gastro tests.I wondered if any onne has had similar symptoms to me.Am going to get tested for my throid soon.I have had these problems start out of the blue but gradualyy getting worse.I read somewhere that you can feel sluggish with thyroid symptoms and that the stomach can be slow to empty therefore causing GERD.
I had been taking cabergoline for 5 years due to excess prolactin.The symptoms started 3 months after coming off medication called cabergoline which levelled my prolactin.
Please please ANY comments would be helpful as feel like I am getting nowhere.
I know it sounds crazy but my feet have now got deep dry lines in them that moisture creams make no difference to.
Thanks for listening.
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-10-2010 - 7:53pm

Hi debcoral2009,

Welcome to our board.

I can relate to part of what you're saying since I have GERD and it has gotten worse over the years.

Calley7

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 1:30pm
Hi - thank you for your response.
What OTC meds do you take?I tried taking Gaviscon advance but it upset my tummy.Tried taking Slippery Elm as I'd rather go down the natural route if possible but it hasnt really made a lot of difference.Do you have any tips?My throat actually feels swollen today and nothing seems to soothe it.Am really fed up with it all as I work as a teaching assistant so my voice problems are quite bad.It doesnt get any better over the long summer hols so its not purely voice strain.I am so confused as all my tests were clear.
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 3:50pm

I gather from what you said that your thyroid tests were in the "normal" range.

Calley7

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 4:53pm
If you have reflux going on and are feeling fluid going back UP, it needs treatment so it doesn't turn into something worse.

~~joannaran~~