Trying To Figure Everything Out (hyper)

iVillage Member
Trying To Figure Everything Out (hyper)
Tue, 02-02-2010 - 10:05pm
I don't know where to start, so I'll start off where I am now. I've been diagnosed with Hypertyroidism, and don't know what to make of it.  I'm slender (always been), tired (within the past 10 years :)  .  I just would like to know how to live with it.  I'm on Proprananal (Beta Blocker) and that's suppose to be the magic pill.  I would love to write more, but my babies rying for me!
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 12:09pm

I was Diagnosed with Hyperactive back In November, aka graves Disease.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 2:37pm

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid, graves disease back in 2004. I've been dealing with the ups and downs and all arounds for awhile now. Methimazole didn't work and about a year ago in April, I did the RAI treatment. I am now hypothyroid. I still have some interesting symptoms, but I'd rather deal with them than the hyper symptoms. I am now taking synthroid 50mgs a day along with a beta blocker. My pulse has gone down, but my blood pressure has gone up. (I gained a lot of weight)

My advice is go talk to an Endocrinologist about it. I was going crazy with my symptoms and it was nice to talk to someone who understood what I was going through and who was there to help me through it.

Also the people here are wonderful as well.

I hope that you can figure everything out!
Take care.

Kim

Ph
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 3:22pm
I've been dealing w/hyperthyroid/Graves disease since 2001 or so - off and on. Mine typically goes away for a couple of years and then returns. I've always done medication, usually for a year or a little over a year at a time. I've not done the beta blockers. My symptoms at first were many and I didn't piece them together. My levels at that time, as it turned out, weren't too, too bad (average, my endo said). The next time my thyroid acted up, my tsh dropped to next to nothing and my t3 levels were "off the charts" as my pcp said. And my symptoms were similar to the first time, but not as many or as bad (perhaps because I recognized them and went to the dr - shaking hands and racing heartrate). The times after that - symptoms COMPLETELY different such that I didn't even recognize it (my husband thought he did so I got tested). These symptoms were so different and my levels once again shot off the charts very quickly. I guess my point in telling you this is - don't make the mistake I made when I assumed I'd always know if my thyroid was acting up again because my hands would shake. Wrong. Maybe some people's symptoms are the exact same each time but mine are not.
If you have questions, just ask. Looks like there are at least a few of us here who also have hyper. (Seems like most are hypo now.)
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 10:58am

Hi smalltwn_cntrygirl,

Welcome to our board.

You've already heard from a few of us "hyper" girls here and how they are dealing with their thyroid disorders.

Calley7