Graves Disease & Weight

iVillage Member
Graves Disease & Weight
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 2:54pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board, so I wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions. I am 23 years old and have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism/graves disease. I am on 50 mg of PTU 1x per day, and have been on it for just a few days now. My doctor was dead set on the fact that I was NOT hyper, because I am overweight, always exhausted and really just had all of the symptoms of someone who is hypo. When the blood work came back and showed that I was hyper, I wasn't shocked- since I had the tests done a few years ago and they said I was hyper then as well. So anyways, I've been struggling with my weight for years, but I am working really hard to lose it and get healthy now. I have been eating very well and I run about 4 miles a day, 6x a week. I am barely seeing the scale move at all. I've read on some websites that people can be overweight and hyper, then lose weight when their hyperthyroidism starts being treated. My question to you guys- Has anyone else struggled with their weight and been hyper, then gone on medication and lost weight? I feel like my body is working against me, because I am working so hard to get in shape and it's just not happening. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. It's very nice to meet you guys :]

- Emily

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 7:22pm
That is surprising to me. I've been dealing w/hyperthyroid/graves for close to 10 yrs now and I didn't know you could be overweight w/hyper. In fact, I used to not be quite so diligent about taking my medicine so I would lose weight! But, 50mg of ptu 1x/day doesn't sound like much at all to me. When my thyroid starts acting up, I'm on 3 or 4 of those per day easily. So, perhaps you're just a little bit hyper? Regardless, that does sound odd to me. Sorry I can't be of any help to you on this one.
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 11:04pm

Hi Emily,

Welcome to our board.

For me as one who has been hyper for years, losing weight has not been the case for me.

Calley7

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 11:17am

Emily,

It seems so strange that your doctor was dead set on you not being hyperthyroid all because of being overweight. When I was diagnosed with graves disease I was overweight. I started losing weight which can be typical with graves disease because your metabolism is going super fast. Once I started going hypothyroid (with the help of RAI treatment) I started gaining weight again. But now that I'm on synthroid I've started to lose weight again. So yeah I understand how your body feels like it working against you.

You have to remember that the thyroid affects 500+ parts in our body. And if its off kilter then its going to put your body off kilter. Once your thyroid is back on track you should be able to lose weight. Also..if you haven't already maybe think about going to an Endo. They specialize in this and will be able to help you out more.

Take care and good luck!
Kim

Ph
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 2:27am

You sound alot like me. I have always had problems with my weight (couldn't gain weight as a child, when around the time I turn 16 I finely hit a 100 lbs. Between 16 and 20 I went up to 125/135. Then after I became pregnant with my oldest dd and my life falling apart (age 38) I gained 165 lbs. Yea I know scarcely. (I've found out in the last year of history of Grave's in the family as well as Cancer of the thyroid and the Hypo autoimmune disorder all running on both sides of my family) So after my mom passed away I became very ill with the Grave's & dropped 75 lbs in a 3 months period. Still have 90 more to go (so your like me we are what they call "healthy" look Grave's pat.) I still weigh 225, and I can't lose the weight. Darn it.

~Sam

I've enclosed a photo my dh took of me at the end of last summer, but I pretty much look the same. As I said I'm a "healthy" looking Grave's pat.

~~Sam stitches well with others, runs with scissors in her pocket. Cheerful and stupid.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 11:43pm

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 9:24am

Hi gette1978,

Welcome to our board.

That's quite an experience you've had with your thyroid.

Calley7