overactive thyroid in pregnancy

iVillage Member
overactive thyroid in pregnancy
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 2:27pm

I had some blood tests on Tuesday because my pulse was high (was between 130-150). They came back today and I was told they showed an overactive thyroid. The only part I can remember is something about T4(?) and something that was supposed to be under 19 was 23.
I am 30 weeks pregnant.
Is this a major problem? I have been told that I need to have it restested in two weeks to see if it goes up as sometimes pregnancy can cause a rise. If it goes up then they say they will have to treat it.

does any one have any experience of this in pregnancy? I have also had preeclampsia in all three of my previous pregnancies - and have been previously diagnosed with an anxiety disorder - could these things be related?

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 9:31pm

Hi jesselizabeth,

Welcome to our board.

According to what I have read, pregnancy can trigger thyroid problems for some people.

Calley7

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-29-2010 - 4:23pm
I just finished a pregnancy where I was hyper throughout. You definitely want to monitor the condition and get it under control. You should be on the lowest dose possible as the med, PTU, crosses the placenta. T4 is the most important one to watch of T4, T3, and TSH. I just had twins and 1 of them was a bit low on TSH after birth, no doubt because of my meds. Her T4's were fine. We have to have her retested soon to make sure her levels came back, as we would expect, now that she's not getting my PTU anymore. Hope this helps. If you have more questions, I can try to answer them!
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 9:31pm

Hi momofbabyguys,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Calley7