New to Board-Would Apperciate Advice on

iVillage Member
New to Board-Would Apperciate Advice on
Sat, 07-10-2010 - 11:59am
 have been reading many of your posts, and would appreciate any advice or help you can give me. I have been having symptoms of Hyperthyroidism: weight loss, fatigue, heart palpitations, severe leg and joint pain, shortness of breath, high blood pressure (suddenly), trouble sleeping, irritability, shakiness. I think that covers them all.

About 4 months ago I went to my doctor, she felt a nodule in my thyroid; which I have been complaining about to other doctors for a couple of years. My throat hurts constantly and I have a persistent cough. Which I know is coming from irritation to my throat. Anyway, she ordered TSH test which came back normal - 0.684.

I went back a month later, with worsening symptoms, and she said it felt as if the nodule had grown. I forgot to mention I also have numerous swollen glands in my neck. She ordered another TSH test, along with free T4, and an iodine uptake test and scan. Here are the results of those tests:

TSH level - 0.596
Free T4 - 1.47

Findings of the Scan and Uptake:

6 hour thyroid uptake calculated at 14.7% , at 24 hours 21.7%, both with in normal range of limits.

"Suggest that the palpable nodule in the upper pole of the right thyroid lobe is an adenoma which, in view of the normal T4 and TSH values, and the presence of uptake in the remainder of the gland, is an adenoma that is responsive to hormonal control."

"Thyroid scan consisted of 4 images obtained in the AP, both oblique views and an AP view with a marker in the palpable nodule.
The study shows greater than normal uptake throughout the upper half of the right thyroid lobe, which would be consistent with a hyperfunctioning nodule. On the oblique views, there is suggestion of diminished uptake in the postero-inferior aspect of the right lobe and in the posterior-middle third of the left thyroid lobe. These maybe artifacts of position and of attenuation from overlying laryngeal tissues, versus the presence of cold nodules in these areas."

She is referring me to an Endocrinologist, which she said would take probably 2 months to get in to see him. And, that my health problems cannot be from my thyroid, because all of the values were normal. So, she ordered more tests; a breathing test for my shortness of breath, blood work to see if I have muscle wasting going on, and an HIV test. And prescribed muscle relaxers for the pain in my legs (I am allergic to several pain medications and the Trammodol and Neurotin prescribed before aren't doing anything for my pain.)

I am hoping I can make it alright the 2 months it will take to get into the Endo. doctor. I have absolutely no energy, severe pain in my legs (which is now starting in my arms, arm muscles are starting to ache all the time.) I have missed a lot of work - I am a bartender/waitress and on busy nights I can barely stand the pain, because it gets worse with prolonged standing or walking.

Any advice, opinions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Gerry
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 8:28pm

Hi Gerry,

Welcome to our board.

One of my reactions to your post

Calley7