Regressing on Methimazole?

iVillage Member
Regressing on Methimazole?
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 12:15pm
Hi, I'm new here, just diagnosed with Graves Disease about two months ago. I'm also six months pregnant. My endocrinologist first had me on PTU and Propranolol. Once he felt my pregnancy had progressed far enough that my baby would not be in danger, he changed my medication to Methimazole. I've been on it for about three weeks, but I almost feel as if I'm regressing a little. I don't know if it's my imagination, and I just wanted some insight from some of you ladies before I call the doctor. I'm noticing some slight tremors again (although not nearly as intense as they had been pre-treatment) and I'm started to sweat and get extra hot while in my cool house with minimal activity. Did anyone experience this? Is it possibly just my body adjusting to the new meds? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 12:16pm
I didn't mean to post this as high interest!
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 9:24pm
They switched you off PTU? My endocrinologist said that PTU is the only med I could be on while I'm pregnant or nursing. Certainly sounds like your symptoms are returning. Have you called your dr? I've never switched medicine mid-stream, so to speak, so I can't say from experience. Why did they take you off PTU? Did they say?
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 10:27pm
First I was on both PTU and Propranolol. After one month, he checked my labs, took me off of the Propranolol, and lessened my dosage of the PTU. After another month, he said the baby was past any stage that the Methimazole would be of any danger, so he put me on that. I was hesitant about it, but he swore it would not harm the baby. After I talked to my OB/GYN (whom I literally trust with my life and baby's life - he's truly amazing) and got his assurances that it was safe at this point, I went ahead. The only thing the endocrinologist said concerning why was about the risks of liver damage to myself resulting from PTU, which he admitted was very small, but he told me doctors prefer Methimazole when possible. I do know he is very aware of the baby, because at my first appointment he actually fussed at me for waiting so long to come for a diagnosis, because now he's "treating two." I haven't yet called him, but I will. I also have to get more blood taken next week and then go back to see him one week after. This is all so new to me, and really has hard to get through, but I'm so glad to just have a diagnosis.
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-17-2010 - 10:07am

Hi skillywidden,

Welcome to our board.

I haven't been on either of those meds even though I've been hyper for years so I can't relate to the changes you're experiencing.

Calley7