Recent Diagnosis - What do you think?

iVillage Member
Recent Diagnosis - What do you think?
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 10:07pm

Hello -

I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and graves disease by an Endo. They prescribed me 10mg methimazole 1xday. I haven't begun taking the medicine yet because I'm not 100% sure I fully understand what's going on. I have my TSH checked in 2006 and it was within normal range (1.06). I'm a 5'11 female and typically weigh between 125-128. My PCP ran some labs in which there was no detectable level of TSH in my blood and my T3 or 4 was 2.9. After reading the symptoms of hyperthyroidism, I do have some of the symptoms (heart palps, always hot, difficulty concentrating) However, for the past two months I have gained about 10 pounds and my blood pressure and pulse are lower (100/60 & 70). My endo did an ultrasound of my thyroid and said it was definitely inflamed and that I need to begin taking the meds.

I'm not sure what to do because I have always been thin my entire life, and so now to gain 10 pounds in two months makes me worry and the meds are just going to make me gain more weight. Has anyone been thin and then gained weight from being hyper? It just makes me wonder if they caught me in limbo and maybe I'm on my way to hypo.

Thanks!!! Nicole

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-01-2010 - 8:18pm

Hi Nicole,

Welcome to our board.

Can you give us your latest TSH figure?

Calley7

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-01-2010 - 10:35pm

Cally7,

My latest blood work did not detect any measurable TSH, and the graves antibodies marker(s) came back positive. I haven't gotten my copy of the lab results yet so I'm not really sure about the graves markers except that two came back positive. I think I'm going to tryout the meds, I'm just an anti-med person in general so it's hard for me to do. However, I'm not going to do anything to really jeopardize my long-term health and if that means meds, etc, then so be it.

Thanks for your insight. The more I talk to different people, the better I feel about the whole situation.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 8:54am
I understand not wanting to take meds - that's kind of how I've felt all my life.

Calley7

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 12:14pm
I've had hyperthyroid for nearly 10 years now - off and on. They assume it's Graves because it returns (I guess that's why). I've taken medicine each time until it goes into remission. I'm like you - I prefer not to take medicine. The other options presented are RAI and surgery and they both stink too imo. Let's face it. The drs and meds are treating the symptoms and not the problem. The thyroid is not the problem, it's the immune system attacking the thyroid. That's what I've read anyway. Well, recently I went to an integrative dr who gave me new information on iodine. Your endo will probably tell you to stay away from iodine. Mine did. But, I just read a book called Iodine Why You Need It and Why You Can't Live Without It by David Brownstein MD. After reading that book, I'm ticked at the medical profession and endocrinologists for never telling me that my condition could be due to lack of iodine! Do I know this for certain? No, not yet. I just started an iodine supplement of 12.5mg, rather than testing and doing more (because I am nursing and we are unsure of the effect on my twins). Also, my other dr also told me that perhaps a gluten intolerance might have brought on my Graves, so I'm eliminating that from my diet.
I just wanted to mention these things - you can do what you'd like w/the info. But it does sound like you're most definitely hyper. btw Sometimes symptoms don't follow hormone levels, at least for me. Sometimes I feel MISERABLE and my levels aren't that bad. Other times my levels are really bad but I don't feel that bad or have very many symptoms.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 6:46pm
I have another appointment tomorrow, but I think for the time being I may just take the meds. I was speaking with a co-worker today and she was telling me about how badly her thyroid condition ruined her bones. I definitely don't want to have to go through what she went through.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 6:49pm

Momofbabyguys,

It's funny that you say that about iodine. I was at a compounding pharmacy the other day and I spent some time and talked to them about my condition. The put some iodine on my inner elbow and told me that if I was lacking iodine that my body would absorb the iodine on my skin within 24 hours. If I had enough iodine then my body wouldn't absorb the iodine within 24 hours. The iodine spot was gone within two hours. I have another appointment with my endo tomorrow so I plan on bringing that up.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 8:47pm
Don't be surprised if your endocrinologist is against the idea of your thyroid problem being due to a lack of iodine. In 10 years I've seen 3 different endos and never not once did any one of them mention an iodine connection. Quite the opposite - 1 told me to stay away from significant sources of iodine, such as kelp. I asked my first endo what causes hyperthyroid and she literally said to me - well, we know, but it doesn't matter. (I should've pressed that further but back then I didn't.) Let us know what your endo says, ok?
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 8:48pm

I got my updated blood work......

TBII - 31.8 It should be less than 16.0 - Graves Marker
TSI - 131 It should be less than 125 - Graves Marker
TSH - <.01 It should be between .40-4.50
T4, Free - 2.9 It should be between .8-1.8
T3, Total - 257 It should be between 76-181

Additionally my Alkaline Phosphatase is elevated at 129. It should be between 33-115. My AST is at the peak of the reference range at 30. It should be between 10-30. My ALT is also elevated at 54. It should be between 6-40. My endo said this is probably due to hyperthyroid, but it definitely doesn't make me feel all that great since I know the meds will also affect my liver reading.

From what I understand my endo said that because the TBII and TSI are out of range that means my condition will be long-term and classified as Graves. I'm going to take the meds and at least get my TSH up a bit before I start doing anything else.

Thanks guys - you have been very helpful!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 9:35pm

Wow, those are interesting test figures.

Calley7

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 9:24pm
Funny enough....my endo has never heard about the iodine test. She said she was going to research it some more to see if that really does indicate iodine deficiency.

Pages